Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Musky Braid

Best Musky Braid

I am curious what everyone considers is the best musky braid.
    I like long distance casting. I used to use Spider Wire in 65 # and may return to it.
    Last season's use of 80 # in another brand left a lot to be desired, stiff etc.
    I absolutely hate wind knots and don't like line that changes color. In anticipation of a few questions I am using an 8 ft 6 rod with a Tranx PG.

"Best" is what works for you. I use Spiderwire Invisi-braid in 80#. I likes it because it not only casts well, but the backlash knots seem to pull out easier if // when I get them. I used PP when it first came out and thought it too stiff and waxy; I understand it is better now. This stuff ain't cheap, so it's hard to suggest that you buy several different brands and try them. Happy trails on your search. m

ps - whatever you get, be sure to spool it tight. I use a few yards of mono on the spool, then overfill with the braid. Then, I tie the end to a doorknob on my garage and walk off half the spool. Set the drag tight and reel myself in hard. Hope that helps, m
    Last edited by mikie; 10-28-2019 at 07:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    I am curious what everyone considers is the best musky braid.
    I like long distance casting. I used to use Spider Wire in 65 # and may return to it.
    Last season's use of 80 # in another brand left a lot to be desired, stiff etc.
    I absolutely hate wind knots and don't like line that changes color. In anticipation of a few questions I am using an 8 ft 6 rod with a Tranx PG.

There are lots of good lines now and their stiffness will vary. However, within a short time, they all soften up.

With regard to color loss, they all will eventually fade to the "natural" color of Spectra, which is more or less tan.

Wind knots are weird. I had a bunch during a week in July — with different reels — and none after that. And no, I had not just respooled those reels when I got the wind knots. The good thing is they can be easily removed. Just wrap your line around each hand on either side of the knot and give a good hard tug and they come right out.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Heiting View Post
    There are lots of good lines now and their stiffness will vary. However, within a short time, they all soften up.

With regard to color loss, they all will eventually fade to the "natural" color of Spectra, which is more or less tan.

Wind knots are weird. I had a bunch during a week in July — with different reels — and none after that. And no, I had not just respooled those reels when I got the wind knots. The good thing is they can be easily removed. Just wrap your line around each hand on either side of the knot and give a good hard tug and they come right out.
    Hello Steve,

What brand of braid do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by MuskyKiller View Post
    Hello Steve,

What brand of braid do you use?
    I use either PowerPro or High Seas Grand Slam braid. Both are very good.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Heiting View Post
    I use either PowerPro or High Seas Grand Slam braid. Both are very good.
    Hi, do you prefer the PowerPro or PowerPro Maxcuatro?

Quote Originally Posted by MuskyKiller View Post
    Hi, do you prefer the PowerPro or PowerPro Maxcuatro?
    I haven't yet tried PP Max, but I've heard good things about it.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Best line I have used is Hi-Seas Grandslam braid. 80# and 100#. It casts great. Is the easiest line I've seen for picking out backlashes. Used it for 9 years never had 1 line failure.
    Jeff Hanson
    madisonmuskyguide.com

I haven't used other brands to compare with, but I am 100% satisfied with Cortland Masterbraid. I used it on a variety of reels (including Tranx PG) for years and I have almost no backlashes or other problems.

Brian