Thread: Request Advice about Hayward Lakes & Resorts

Request Advice about Hayward Lakes & Resorts

We are headed to Hayward for the very first time next summer and would like advice on which lakes are preferred on two fronts.
    #1 Musky Activity and #2 for the family - best Pubs & Bars to get to by boat?
    Been fishing muskies for 39 years, but mostly Canada and finally visiting the Mecca where it all started so long ago.
    Love the folklore of that region and want to visit spots of historic events.

I'm no expert on the Hayward area, but if you're on Lac Courte Oreilles you need to stop in at Anglers Haven. Great food, super-fun atmosphere, and wonderful people running it.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Thanks Steve, we will definitely do that.
    Hoping to move some muskies as well - hoping LCO and Whitefish present us with opportunities.

You mentioned 2 very difficult lakes for muskies. LCO is extremely low density of adult muskies at the moment. It is in rebuild mode for muskies. However, Anglers Haven Resort is worth a special trip regardless if you fish LCO. Whitefish is a super clear- super deep lake that is also quite tough. You should check out the WI DNR website for Muskie fishing. a lot of good info in there. ( Lake ratings, stocking database )
    I will throw out some lakes to consider for actually catching some fish in the Hayward area. These lakes have good populations of 35-45" fish, with an occasional over that. Lost Land lake, Teal, Spider, Sand, Big Sissabagamma. Then there is the Chippewa Flowage that is big and tough, but can be good at times and is loaded with unique resort/bars/restaurants. There are also lakes near the towns of Winter, and up near Clam Lake that will provide good action, and even a few with big ones in them.
    There are resorts on or near most all of these lakes that have good bars and restaurants.
    I Hope this helps you some.
    -Jon

if you have any specific questions, you can email me.
    52muskyjon@gmail.com
    Last edited by rudedog; 08-06-2019 at 05:37 AM.

Jon,
    I find this information very helpful and it is much appreciated. I've been doing lots of looking on websites and watching Youtube videos on the Hayward area but all that does is confuse me. I feel like a kid in a candy store, so much good stuff to look at I'm not sure where to begin or what truly is the best. Since this is a family vacation that also allows me to enjoy my true passion I'm leaning towards action rather than size. The list you provided seems right in line with that thinking. I want my family to have a great time and it would absolutely mean the world to me if I could put my Grandson on his very first Musky. Thanks for your input.