Thread: Canyon Lake Ontario

Canyon Lake Ontario

Headed up to Canyon Lake, Ontario August 10th and was hoping someone out there could share a few pointers for this time of year.

This will be our 4th visit to Canyon but our first time in August. We have been watching the weather and this year has been wet and much cooler than the norm. Our pregame strategy has us focused on weed beds and flowing water due to conditions. We're curious if others would spend more time over deep rocks? Will the cooler water keep fish in the shallows or will the long days of summers push the fish out?

Quick trip report - Enough for me thinking ahead. I believe calendar year played a much bigger role than out of character weather patterns. Most muskies were located on rocks near deep water - on sunny days we needed to get down into the water column. Wiggle action baits with Pete Maina's Livingston Lures leading the way - unfortunately I didn't have one in my box so partner moved and caught more fish under these conditions. Jointed Depth Raiders, Believers and Hellhounds also drew lots of attention. We had overcast skies on 3 days including some showers off and on with light chop - these conditions got the muskies going hot and heavy on the surface bite. Didn't much matter what you were throwing but hookups improved on baits with subsurface tails - topraiders, tallywackers etc... blasted out of the water but hookup percentage dropped off. Ended up with 37 for the week between 4 anglers, 1 of the guys caught his first 6 ever on this trip. Now for the downside - we didn't land one over 38" and only managed to raise 2 fish that were 40+. We tried some deep water jigging with bondys and the likes in deep water rocks where we were moving fish but no luck. All in all plenty of action and a fun vacation. We don't troll but think that open water trolling might have resulted in some larger fish?