Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ramsell Boats Largest Musky In Over 60 Years Of Fishing

Ramsell Boats Largest Musky In Over 60 Years Of Fishing

By Larry Ramsell

After an exceptionally windy mid-week cold snap that had caused us to not even fish on Wednesday, extending our trip for an extra day to compensate paid off big.

Trolling with Captain Mike Lazarus on the St. Lawrence River on November 24, at about 6 p.m. the graph indicated a large fish below the boat. Since the boat was grinding through small floating ice chunks, Mike said the fish would “never hit with all that ice noise.” But seconds after the boat cleared the last of the ice, the reel went off and the chaos ensued.

My fishing buddies Klaus Trieb (who had caught a 56 1/2-inch, 48-pounder from the same area just five days earlier) and Patrick Delaney quickly cleared the other rods and the fight for me was on. The huge fish went immediately to the bottom in 30 feet of water and dogged it out from there. I first thought that the reel drag was too loose as cranking the handle retrieved no line, so I tightened the drag three times to finally begin gaining line — but quickly loosened it again when the captain admonished me about it.

While not a long fight, it took several minutes to get the big girl to the surface. We could see that it was indeed a good fish, but we had no idea how big. After a brief battle on the surface, I was abletolead the musky into the waiting, none-too-big, Frabill Big Kahuna net. In the net, it became apparent to me that she was a very long fish, with a very wide back and bulging belly!

The black-and-orange jointed Bucher DepthRaider was firmly affixed in her jaws and she was unlikely to have gotten free short of breaking the line. After removing the hooks and quickly taking pictures, we then placed her on the Muskie Bumper “FatBoy” bumpboard, which is 10 inches wide she measured exactly 57 1/4 inches long. We then weighed the fish on a certified digital scale and she pulled the “zeroed” scale down to 54.40 pounds. She was then quickly released back into the river and immediately swam away strong.

Needless for me to say I was overjoyed because the fish stands as my personal best in both length and weight after 62 years of chasing muskies.

Believing that our Hayward Lakes Muskie’s, Inc. Chapter length record was 57 inches, ironically caught by my grandson Caiden two years before from Lake Vermilion, Minnesota, I had, unless there was a longer fish caught since by a chapter member that I am unaware of, just set a new chapter length record. After giving it further thought, I realized also, that this fish weighed two pounds more than the Muskies Inc.’s 52-year International historical weight record. My hope is the club will accept a witnessed, certified weight of a fish that had been released in its weight division.

The scale was subsequently checked by the Wisconsin Department of Weights & Measures on December 5 and found to be “dead on” with zero deviation.

While I am sure there have been muskies caught and released by Muskies Inc. members that would have exceeded the club’s 52-pound 6-ounce weight record (caught from the St. Lawrence River by Gale Radtke in 2002), I don’t know of any that were weighed on a certified scale and submitted. The final decision on my fish will of course be up to the club, but I’m happy either way!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beast 13.jpg 
Views:	1353 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	2216   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beast 12.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	2217  
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Great story, great fish! Love the line about Mike Lazarus, a highly successful guide, saying the fish won't hit because of the boat grinding against ice and all the noise, yet it did just that.
    This year I started trolling in earnest this year and caught several on baits no more than 8 feet behind the boat. Years ago, I would have bet large sums no musky would get anywhere near a boat with the motor running. Growing up in the 1960s, I spent many hours rowing my aunt and uncle around the lake edge and being admonished for making noise with the oars that might "scare away the fish". Yeah, don't think so.

Again, great fish and it is terrific that it happened for a guy who appreciates and documents just this kind of giant.

Quote Originally Posted by North of 8 View Post
    Great story, great fish! Love the line about Mike Lazarus, a highly successful guide, saying the fish won't hit because of the boat grinding against ice and all the noise, yet it did just that.
    This year I started trolling in earnest this year and caught several on baits no more than 8 feet behind the boat. Years ago, I would have bet large sums no musky would get anywhere near a boat with the motor running. Growing up in the 1960s, I spent many hours rowing my aunt and uncle around the lake edge and being admonished for making noise with the oars that might "scare away the fish". Yeah, don't think so.

Again, great fish and it is terrific that it happened for a guy who appreciates and documents just this kind of giant.
    So Mike was wrong about a musky ... knowing him, it's probably the first time. He's an incredible fisherman, but you never know what muskies will do.

With regard to boat noise, when I guided from a tiller boat my first cast after moving to a new spot was always into the boat's settling propwash. I caught a lot of muskies doing that!
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Can't tell you the number of summer muskies we have caught trolling with NO line out...just the leader! Fun to watch them jump right over the motor at 5m.p.h.!

By the way, I could not in good conscience compare my recent accomplishment to the likes of Tom Gelb who "did it the hard way" in capturing a 50+ pounder from inland Wisconsin waters, row trolling in winter conditions, by himself! THAT, is a superhuman accomplishment.

Hello. Congratulations Larry with a monster catch! Mr Lazarus is certainly dialed in for late year giants. Nice work!
    I'm going to play a little devils advocate though. On the other site you said you don't encourage the weighing of muskies, just the special giants. Isn't a giant different for each of us? I like to weigh muskies. And have probably weighed about 20 fish altogether in about 20 years of fishing for them. Those 20 were larger fish that I felt needed a weight to go with them to do them justice. Example: about 10 years ago I caught one that was 43inches and just hit 30lbs. Another was 47 and 33lbs. And just this fall my buddy, who for some reason, has been skunked for a fall trophy all these years got one 49inches 38lbs. That was the largest I have ever weighed. I feel that these weights are important to tell the true story of the fish somtimes. Not for Joe public, just for our fishing crew. Now these are not certified weights. They could be off a little. I don't really care, close enough. We just needed to know that fish wasn't just a 49 incher.
    So, how do you guys weigh them out in a boat Larry? I just leave them in the net and use a digital scale to hook the netting and pull them up. It takes just a few seconds and seems quite harmless. Yeah, it may be off a pound or 2, but like I said close enough.
    Anyway, congrats again Larry, great fish! I just had some questions. Thanks, Tim

TJB: Thanks for the compliment. As for weighing fish, the ones you noted were "special" to you and with the method you are using, I see no problem with doing so. The numbers you indicate could in no way be detrimental to the fishery. And your examples are certainly "special" fish.

My preferred method is to use a rubberized small mesh cradle to put the fish in to weigh (see attached photo), but nothing wrong with weighing the fish in the net if it isn't toooo big, as in the case of my fish and the "huge" Big Kahuna net being used. My scale has a "tare" button to "zero" the scale with the cradle attached and a "hold" button to lock in the weight to minimize time of weighing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00554.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	2218  
    Last edited by Larry_Ramsell; 12-28-2018 at 08:39 AM. Reason: addition

Ah yes, that is indeed a nice setup! As I get older and hopefully have more trophy hunting time I'll set myself with one. Although keeping that in my boat will probably jinx me from the elusive 50lber.lol But, you never know right? Another technical question: Do you think weighing them in the buoyancy of a vessel affects a scale''s accuracy?

TJB: Ya, you never know, but don't worry about the "jinx". I eat bananas before going out!! Weighing them in the boat has no affect on scale accuracy unless it is bouncing in waves. If it is windy or there is a lot of boat traffic, just put your boat against shore and get it stabilized.

Ha ha, yeah bananas are good for stamina. Thanks for the input Larry, much appreciated. Happy 2019 to all! Tim