Thread: Leaders with split rings

Leaders with split rings

Greetings,

I started a related thread on another website, but would like to reposition my concern on Musky Hunter.

I've been making my own musky leaders for about ten years. I started relying on split rings to attach my lures a few years ago, rather than conventional snaps. I thought the split rings would be more secure than snaps.

About two years ago, I noticed that my lure was working its way through the split ring. Had I not noticed this phenomenon, I'm pretty sure that the lure would have come completely separated from the split ring and lost. I made a note of this happening and chalked it up to a "freak" occurrence.

The exact same thing happened last weekend. I casted a Bobby Bait for about three hours and then noticed the split ring attached to the Bobby Bait was working its way through the split ring attached to the wire leader. The connection between the lure and leader was split ring to split ring.

Have you had something similar happen? If so, what did you do?

Good fishing and tight lines!!

I don't like a split ring to split ring connection because the open ends of the split rings eventually catch and start working their way apart. The solution is to use a solid ring on the leader and a split ring on the front of the bait — if the solid ring is wide enough so it doesn't catch in the split ring opening.

If you build wire leaders with split rings at the end, you'll also have issues when the thinner wire of the leader catches in the opening of the split ring and starts working its way out. Of course, that won't happen with a solid ring.

Bucktails that have a thinner shaft/eye/wrap will also catch in split rings and begin working apart. With them, you probably need to go with a good snap exclusively.

Since the introduction of the Stay-Lok snap, I've used them exclusively with no issues. The only time I put a split ring in the eye now is with lures that are difficult to thread onto the Stay-Lok, such as a Bull Dawg or a Bobbie, or when I want more action from a minnowbait/jerkbait.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Hello Steve,

Many sincere thanks for the feedback - especially your comment about the split ring to split ring connection. My buddy and I will be going through Minocqua next week. I have a hunch we will visit the folks at Rollie & Helen's for some supplies!

Kindest regards....

I agree with the above, for most lures just use the snap. I did use a single split ring from a leader on a couple lures that had a front hook forward and had trouble with the stay lock snap getting the front hook in it a good bit. The split ring did reduce the tangle of that front hook, but the snap is just easier and faster for most baits.

I used splitrings years ago after I had a coastlock snap fail. It took awhile, but I have torture tested stay locs for several years now, and they are bulletproof in my experience. I troll a lot and its always interesting the things you snag. Two months ago I brought up the biggest item I ever raised. A 100lb block of concrete, no joke. Took half an hour, would have never bothered except a $80 bait was a risk. My swivel, stay loc, and leader were all stretched to the max, but nothing failed, I was impressed. This happened where they do ski shows, the concrete must have been a
    anchor for the jump or something else they use.

Maybe I'm old fashion but I still use Berkley cross lock snaps. Yea certain lures are a little bit of a pain to get on, but so far never a failure, and weeds don't catch on them.