Thread: French River, Killarny, Nipissing advice

French River, Killarny, Nipissing advice

Guys,

Looking at doing a musky trip in middle of October. Any advice on going to the French River vs. Killarny vs. Nippissing? Had success on Mcgregor bay earlier in the year, but thinking of exploring somewhere else?

Really appreciate any thoughts,

Mark80

I've been on Nipissing but not on the French or Killarny. Big fish, but a very low population and you can end up questioning everything you're doing if the fish aren't responding or you haven't found them. It's also huge water, and if you see a storm coming it's best not to wait until it hits.

Sorry I can't provide more info, but I've been focusing on the lakes more immediately north the last few years.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Agree with Steve on Nip. The French River has several sections, so you would need to pick one...upper (connects to Nip), middle (small and deep and not a numbers game) or the Delta (lower). Likely best shot at a good one and Bear's Den Lodge a great place to base.

Killarny more tough Georgian Bay fishing...

Thanks guys. I was leaning towards going on the lower french after some additional searching. Will be there for a day this weekend. Maybe put-in in Harltey Bay or Pickerel river. Thinking of trolling larger cranks 10 or 12 inchers and casting rubber/swim baits. Is it too cold for bucktails?

Mark80