Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 58-Incher Reported Caught On Green Bay

58-Incher Reported Caught On Green Bay

I sure hope they have better photos, but the musky is a giant. https://chicago.suntimes.com/environ...of-a-lifetime/
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Huge fish- Terrible Hold and bad pic.

Certainly a GIANT! Knocking on the door of the Modern Day World Record (www.modernmuskierecords.org) "IF" the measurements were accurate and the fish was kept (the "approximate" girth measurement however, is obviously not allowed).

It also would come close to the Release world record (https://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/boa...=93688&start=1) if properly documented. By formula used for the release record (L X G/25 minus 8) for fish over 54 pounds. This fish may have been in the 57 pound class.
    Last edited by Larry_Ramsell; 09-07-2018 at 06:05 AM. Reason: accuacy and additions

I think it's a pretty darn good picture and no problem with the hold.

C'mon, a vertical hold on a fish that size?

Right, I picked up on the implications above.

Every fish taken out of the water for a picture is held vertically at least twice. Assuming without deciding, that vertical holds are unsafe for big fish, then what's the cutoff size, and what's the extent of the health risk, and does this rule only apply to muskie?

I like the picture, and since I don't have any facts on duration, circumstances, and the underlying theory itself, I won't draw any negative conclusions on this angler's massive lunge.

I guess the only alternative is a gentle, speedy, horizontally supported water release, which of course is unsafe for the human. Either that or don't fish.

Quote Originally Posted by biafra View Post

Every fish taken out of the water for a picture is held vertically at least twice. Assuming without deciding, that vertical holds are unsafe for big fish, then what's the cutoff size, and what's the extent of the health risk, and does this rule only apply to muskie?

I like the picture, and since I don't have any facts on duration, circumstances, and the underlying theory itself, I won't draw any negative conclusions on this angler's massive lunge.

I guess the only alternative is a gentle, speedy, horizontally supported water release, which of course is unsafe for the human. Either that or don't fish.

I agree with your take on the fish going vertically when it's being picked out of the water or returned, but going horizontal for the actual grip and grin is certainly less stressful.

My biggest concern for the pix is that a lot of the fish isn't visible. It's obviously a giant, but you can't appreciate the whole fish without seeing it.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by biafra View Post

That's incorrect, don't be lazy, and support the belly before you lift her out of water...

Evidently this fish (identified by markings) was found floating; put on a bump board and measured at 55 inches...

That is one unfortunate end to the story ��