Thread: Tranx 500 Falling Off of Reel Seat

Tranx 500 Falling Off of Reel Seat

On three separate occasions, my Tranx 500 completely fell off my rod because the reel seat loosened up. The rod is a "high end" custom rod with a St. Croix LT blank (purchased at the Chicago Musky show). I don't know the manufacturer of the reel seat, but it appears to look the same as all my other rods. On at least two of those occasions, I made a point to crank down the reel fastener with pliers--as firm as I dared to go without breaking the plastic. So, I know it was not my fault for putting it on too loose.

I talked to a well known professional musky guide and he said that this is a known issue with the Tranx because the mounting base is a little larger than normal.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone else have a solution? I placed a rubber band on the threads to keep it from loosening and that seemed to help, but I am scared I am going to drop it in the lake or lose a fish! With Google, I found the "Tiburon Shimano Tranx Clamp Kit". Has anyone used that as a backup clamp?

Brian

I have 2- 500 Tranx both are mounted on Musky Innovations Pro series rods and I have never had any issues with reel falling off or even loosening up.
    Jeff Hanson
    madisonmuskyguide.com

I have had my Tranx on a Bulldawg rod before, and last 3 yrs on a Fenwick Elite. Never had that issue either.

I've used my Tranx 500 on St. Croix's Legend Elite and Legend Tournament 9-foot heavies, and have never had the reel seat loosen.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

I have used the Tranx on 2 rods since its inception and never had an issue. I do have a Custom rod that over time the threading on the reel sit will loosen after it has sat for a while . Not sure if you could be experiencing the same issue. I have a 400 COnquest on that rod... Blue Locktite helps keep things in line...

I have similar problem with my OKUMA Evx , no matter how tight the reel seat any reel won't be tight enough and twist using heavy baits or heavy pulling baits. Got advise to put shrink tubing on the reel mounting leg, that solved the problem for me.

I would suggest electrical tape on the reel where it gets clamped.