Thread: M

M

Does anyone else have problems getting the blades for a musky mayhem baby girl spinner to engage / rotate consistently?

Getting frustrated wasting casts when the blades don't spin right

I'm not familiar with that specific model. However, I would recommend the following:

- Make sure your shaft wire is perfectly straight.
    - Make sure your clevises are a perfect "U" shape, not a "C" or "V". Bend them with pliers if necessary. Be careful, they are delicate.
    - If the flashabou gets tangled in the blades, fold and crease the strands to keep them in place.
    - Before casting, make sure your blades are positioned properly.
    - When casting, before the lure hits the water, thumb the spool to get the lure to lay out flat. Begin your retrieve before the lure hits the water.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by lelekb View Post
    I'm not familiar with that specific model. However, I would recommend the following:

- Make sure your shaft wire is perfectly straight.
    - Make sure your clevises are a perfect "U" shape, not a "C" or "V". Bend them with pliers if necessary. Be careful, they are delicate.
    - If the flashabou gets tangled in the blades, fold and crease the strands to keep them in place.
    - Before casting, make sure your blades are positioned properly.
    - When casting, before the lure hits the water, thumb the spool to get the lure to lay out flat. Begin your retrieve before the lure hits the water.

Brian
    In addition to what Brian suggests, reduce cup of the blade, which will make it spin easier, and ride higher in the water column. For example, I had a similar problem with Mepps Giant Killer blades, and found that by flattening them they pull harder, ride higher, and caught more fish.

Sometimes, adding a grub tail to the bait will give it enough weight to get those spinners a-movin. Also, when the bait hits the water and you thumb the spool, raise the rod tip a bit. m