Thread: WEST ARM EAGLE LAKE AUGUST (Advice/Help)

WEST ARM EAGLE LAKE AUGUST (Advice/Help)

Hello musky hunter forum

I have organized a dream trip to Stanley's on eagle lake this august with my dad. Does anyone have any advice on musky fishing in the west arm/vermilion bay? I really want to make this a memorable trip for my dad as this is his first trip to Canada. I see a lot of info on eagle, but not so much on the west arm? Any info would be appreciated.

I'm so excited to see this post! My family has owned property beside Stanley's since the 1930's so our families are very close, Rob will take fantastic care of you! The water is very clear on the west end so be prepared to see some very big, curious fish that can see you just as easily lol keep me in mind and let's chat closer to your trip, I'm over there quite a bit anyway so maybe we can talk muskies over a beer or something. Also if you've never been lake trout fishing there are some pigs down there too...actually Nevermind shhhhh they aren't fun to catch AT ALL haha
    You should be VERY excited for this trip. Top raiders seem to be really popular but honestly I've only had success with them to search out fish, gliders like a hellhound or warlock get eaten and if you want to spend money go to Bobbies in Vermillion Bay, lots of selection. ALSO Busters BBQ has awesome food so if you're making a run into town it's worth the stop.

I'm so excited to see this post! My family has owned property beside Stanley's since the 1930's so our families are very close, Rob will take fantastic care of you! The water is very clear on the west end so be prepared to see some very big, curious fish that can see you just as easily lol keep me in mind and let's chat closer to your trip, I'm over there quite a bit anyway so maybe we can talk muskies over a beer or something. Also if you've never been lake trout fishing there are some pigs down there too...actually Nevermind shhhhh they aren't fun to catch AT ALL haha
    You should be VERY excited for this trip. Top raiders seem to be really popular but honestly I've only had success with them to search out fish, gliders like a hellhound or warlock get eaten and if you want to spend money go to Bobbies in Vermillion Bay, lots of selection. ALSO Busters BBQ has awesome food so if you're making a run into town it's worth the stop.

The West Arm is definitely a big fish hangout. The fish there run large and angry, for sure. It is very clear water, so the fish can be especially spooky. Not so much a numbers area, you are kind of swinging for the fences but if you land a big one, it will be BIG. Keep in mind it will be tough under clear, calm conditions (but what lake isn't) and best under cloudy and/or windy conditions. In August we use a lot of bucktails--especially black/smoke, black/nickel, but bring some hot colors for a change. 9" Grandmas and Mag Dawgs and even Pounders are good as a change up or a follow up.

The farther east you go--into Vermilion--the water gets a bit "darker" but the same rules apply. There are a ton of spots, so hiring a guide is probably your best bet. Again, august is bucktail/9"grandma/and bulldawg time.

Thanks for the info guys. Keep it coming. So after reading these and studying the map, Im thinking I might start my days down towards portage bay and work my way back to camp. Hopefully ending my day with a monster from the west arm at dusk. The lure selection sounds great as I have actually just acquired some of the lures mentioned.

The lake trout fishing has got my attention as well. Are they able to be jigged for at that time of year??

All of Eagle is great water with amazing potential--and all of it will definitely challenge your fishing ability. Lake St. Clair it is not. Just keep in mind that because of the clear water the West Arm and Portage would rank as 2 of the most challenging areas...

Lots of good spots in and around Vermilion Bay itself (I fish out of AML so I cover that water a lot), as well as down through "the narrows" and out into the big water East and South. You will likely be limited in how far east you go by sheer time and distance from the West Arm. But fear not...tons of good water and fish you can access.

My advice--pick 1 area and fish the daylights out of it. Running all over will just waste time and gas. Patience and persistence are musts on Eagle. Hiring a guide for a few days would also be highly recommended to learn the water and techniques.

Hey PMxtimbofish, I am curious how you did a few years back. My old man and me are headed up to Stanley's in August and want to target musky and walleye. Any advice you got for honing in on the west end?