Thread: One lure

One lure

What is your one lure you would buy over time and time again if needed. One you would never be without?

Quote Originally Posted by kbbgood View Post
    What is your one lure you would buy over time and time again if needed. One you would never be without?
    Black Creeper

Bobbie bait

Are we to winter discussion topics already? I guess with this wild climate-is-not-really-changing-but-it-still-sucks weather we're having...

I throw a Muskie Treat every outing. Sledge (unweighted) most times, too. I don't feel like I'm really fishin unless I'm a-jerkin. I can't buy Treats any more so I just have them repainted when they get too chewed up. This little guy lost half his tail.

I buy at least one Sledge each Ohio show. I need another one, tho, I think I'm down to my 22nd Sledge! m
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0777.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	2159  

8" Slammer

I've wanted to answer this thread previously but I can't narrow it to ONE lure. Here are some considerations:

1. One lure that has caught the most big muskies for me? Double Cowgirl, black-nickel blades with a black holoform tail. It can't be THE one single bait because it's a summer/early fall bait and there are times when other colors are better.

2. One lure that caught my first nine muskies ever and continues to catch fish for me 40 years later? Mepps Musky Killer, gold blade and black tail. But it's not THE bait because muskies sometimes want a bigger presentation or different blade vibration.

3. One lure that will catch fish regardless of conditions? 6- to 7 1/2-inch Grandma, perch color. It's closest to THE one single bait because it works all season long in many conditions, but it will cost you muskies when they're ramped up and a faster presentation will result in contacting more fish, or when a big profile means everything -- which this lure does not have.

4. One lure that saves me more often than not in post-frontal conditions? Suick, varying sizes and colors. But it can't be THE one single bait because I can't narrow it down to size or color. I have a hot perch 7" model that has caught ~40 muskies in the early season over its career, but I won't use it later in the year because it's not big enough. In Canada I'd want a 10" model with an orange belly. And, like a smaller Grandma, it forces you to fish slowly which can be a detriment when the fish want a faster presentation.

5. One lure that has been hottest for me this year? Regular 8" Swimmin' Dawg. But it's not THE one single bait because I don't have enough history with it, plus I'm using different colors depending on the water/sky conditions.

That's five lures and their considerations, but I could go on and I won't. I just can't be limited to one bait.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com