Thread: Best Muskie Rod and Reel?

Question Best Muskie Rod and Reel?

Hello fellows,

What manufacturer is making the very best Muskie rod and reel?

thank you,

MK

Rod-wise, it's hard to argue with St. Croix, especially since they have outstanding rods in every price point from the Triumph, Mojo and Premier lines up to the Legend Tournament and Legend Elite levels. www.stcroixrods.com

There are some excellent reels on the market by Shimano (the Tranx 400 and Calcutta Conquest are unbelievable http://fish.shimano.com) and Abu Garcia (Beast www.abugarcia.com), but a reel that's overlooked yet is as good as any if not better is Daiwa's Luna 300 (http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/ree...una/index.html)
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Quote Originally Posted by MuskyKiller View Post
    Hello fellows,

What manufacturer is making the very best Muskie rod and reel?

thank you,

MK
    Hard to argue with Steve's response. The very best is often the most expensive, which may not be best for everyone's situation. There are many good products available. You pretty much have to compare and select what fits your budget, which you can do at a place like Rollie and Helen's. Keep in mind you can often purchase products for less via eBay.

Thanks fellows.

On a side note, I notice there are not many posts on this forum as there use to be, where did everybody go?

We're out fishing!
    I'm very pleased with the three Tackle Industries rods I own. Very light, good grip, cast better than I do...
    I don't know a lot about rod technology and construction to comment on their mfg techniques, I like these a bit better than the St. Croix I own, and the Berkely rods I used to throw (remember when 7 ft rods were extreme?). m

Quote Originally Posted by mikie View Post
    (remember when 7 ft rods were extreme?)
    Hello,

Based on Heiting's philosophy we should all be using 10-foot rods. Not sure if that recommendation is for all lures and techniques?!

Quote Originally Posted by MuskyKiller View Post
    Hello,

Based on Heiting's philosophy we should all be using 10-foot rods. Not sure if that recommendation is for all lures and techniques?!
    That's not entirely true. For bucktails and giant soft plastics, absolutely. St. Croix's new 10-footers in the Legend Tournament lineup are terrific for their applications. To read my thoughts on the subject, visit: http://www.steveheiting.com/st-croix...ky-rod-review/

For everything else, here is a link to the rods I use: http://www.steveheiting.com/tackle-e...commendations/

The 8-6 MHF Legend Elite model has been in my hands a lot this year, mainly because it's the best rod to cast the lures with which I've had most of my success this year.

With regard to seven-footers being extreme, yes, I remember the first one I got. I loved it, but I wondered if it would be accepted by the masses. Rod-making technology is so far advanced today than it was 30 years ago when the sevens were being developed.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com