Thread: Lake of the Woods Early Fall Trip Timing

Lake of the Woods Early Fall Trip Timing

I'm going to have vacation days to spare this year and am planning on making my first trip to LotW in the early fall. I have a rather small window I could make work; I'm planning a full week sometime during 9/22-10/13. I've done quite a bit of reading, but a lake that far North, that late in the year is new to me, so I was wondering if anyone familiar with the lake had any thoughts regarding trip timing (should I shoot for early or later dates in this window) and what to expect weather-wise (barring unseasonable weather). If it matters, I'm planning to stay in the NW Angle and I prefer casting to trolling. Thanks for any insights.

You can catch them casting even while the trollers are in action. The muskies are using a lot of the same places as in summer, only they're holding deeper. Instead of casting bucktails and topwaters you need to use crankbaits, plastics and weighted jerkbaits, and keep your boat out deeper. Weeds die in late August so it's very unlikely they'll be a factor.

I'd go toward the latter part of your window. LOTW tends to bloom up in September. You can still catch muskies because they have to feed, but the bloom can be downright gross at times. It's also frustrating because sometimes you can't see follows and won't know to come back to a spot later to try to catch a big one that followed. If they're right on the bait you can't miss them, but deeper follows are often invisible.

About September in northwest Ontario -- that third week is often the time a big front blows through and it suddenly becomes fall very quickly. Lakes that stratify turn over about that time. Parts of LOTW may stratify but often don't, but it's a time of rapid transition which makes it tough to pattern fish. Many resorts also shut down for the year in September, so asking if they'll be open when you plan to come should be your first question.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Great - thanks for the info, Steve!
    We've already contacted a few lodges about availability, but I guess it's looking like the first week I mentioned is going to work best for everyone for a variety of reasons. I'm sure we'll have a good time, regardless, but we'll keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best weather-wise and be prepared to travel around the lake some if needed. We're planning on a couple guided days, so hopefully that helps should the fishing get tough.