Thread: High Water Temps

High Water Temps

We already have water temps in the low 80s here in PA. There are some years when we don't even hit 80 depending on the lake. Considering the high temps and we're not even in June, do we consider this early season musky fishing or mid summer? Normally this time of year I'd be using smaller lures but should I already be using larger lures and fishing faster?

Cooler temps are headed our way in a few days. Water temps will be dropping. Best just not to fish for them when the water temps are above 80.

I saw 74-78 on the surface on Monday in Vilas County, and I'm sure it was cooler in deeper water. Forecast is for 90 degrees today, and then moderating.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

We have mid 70s in Oneida, on the lake where I live. Shallow and dark. Was in the water this morning, working on dock. Markedly cooler just a foot down.

I was on a WV clear water mountain lake Wednesday and found 82* when I launched. Upstream it went below 80 for a bit; saw 84 when I put the boat on the trailer. Raised one small one 3x - a hot bite one way or the other? m

I saw 66-70 degrees on Saturday, and yesterday the air temp never got above 57. Last night was in the 40s. I wouldn't worry about high water temps anymore, at least for the time being.

So far as what the muskies are doing, I would say they're in a typical early summer pattern. They're in weeds, on mid-lake rock humps and suspended over deep water.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com