Thread: New Rod length/power recommendation help

New Rod length/power recommendation help

Hey guys, I'm in the market for a new Musky rod. I currently have a St Croix Premier 7' MediumHeavy that was my first real musky rod that got me into the game of musky fishing. I'm looking for another all around rod that I can throw 5" shallow raiders all the way to the regular sized bulldawgs and medussas. The St Croix that I have now is a little too light and difficult to throw the bulldawgs and medussas, but wasn't sure if adding more length to a MediumHeavy rod would make it easier. Currently eyeing the MojoMusky in 8'. Would be pairing it with a Revo Toro S60. Thanks guys!

I presume you're looking at the 8-foot medium heavy Mojo (MM80MHF) rather than the heavy (MM80HF). Longer rods (at least those made by St. Croix) make it easier to cast a wider variety of baits because longer rods act as levers.

St. Croix's actions are very consistent between the rod levels, meaning a medium heavy Premier will handle the same baits as a medium heavy of a Mojo or any other musky rod they offer.

That said, you're asking for the rod to accomplish a lot. A Baby ShallowRaider weighs 1.3 oz. while a regular Bull Dawg weighs 4.9 oz. and the Medussa 4.5 oz. The MM80MHF is perfect for the ShallowRaider, but will be light for the heavier plastics -- just as you're finding with the Premier you currently own. The MM80HF would be a better choice for the larger baits.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Eh

Quote Originally Posted by ordmusky View Post
    Hey guys, I'm in the market for a new Musky rod. I currently have a St Croix Premier 7' MediumHeavy that was my first real musky rod that got me into the game of musky fishing. I'm looking for another all around rod that I can throw 5" shallow raiders all the way to the regular sized bulldawgs and medussas. The St Croix that I have now is a little too light and difficult to throw the bulldawgs and medussas, but wasn't sure if adding more length to a MediumHeavy rod would make it easier. Currently eyeing the MojoMusky in 8'. Would be pairing it with a Revo Toro S60. Thanks guys!
    Just use the 7 foot MH premier for the Jerkbaits and get a 8 - 8'6" XH for the rubber. I would either recommend a Tackle Industries or Okuma Evx rod due to their lifetime warranties. ( The 9 foot Evx in H is an outstanding all around rod )