Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Lexa 400?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    5

    Question Lexa 400?

    Ok, so im on a bit of a budget because of being a student and have ben using C3`s and C4`s for the last 3-4 years. Don`t get me wrong, I love them but I needed something with a faster retreive for rubber. i just ordered the Lexa Wn 400hl. Is that a good reel, many saltwater forums praise these things. How long will it last. Should I return it and get the Tranx 401.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Three Lakes
    Posts
    138
    Lexas are good budget reels, just don't try to compare them to Tranx and you'll be fine

  3. #3
    Senior Member Steve Heiting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 1994
    Location
    St. Germain, WI, United States.
    Posts
    2,877
    Also, you don't need a high speed reel to fish big plastics/rubber. A good midrange reel of with a 5:1 or so will work perfectly.
    Steve Heiting

    www.steveheiting.com

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    5
    Yes, I was going to save for the Tranx 500 but they are only available in right hand retreive. The Tranx 400 was in my budget but the drag and capacity was less than the Lexa. Was it a mistake choosing the lexa?

  5. #5
    Senior Member Steve Heiting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 1994
    Location
    St. Germain, WI, United States.
    Posts
    2,877
    Quote Originally Posted by JAJA View Post
    Yes, I was going to save for the Tranx 500 but they are only available in right hand retreive. The Tranx 400 was in my budget but the drag and capacity was less than the Lexa. Was it a mistake choosing the lexa?
    No. Some people really like it. Try it, and if you don't like it, there's a good market for used ones on eBay.
    Steve Heiting

    www.steveheiting.com

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    898
    Quote Originally Posted by JAJA View Post
    Ok, so im on a bit of a budget because of being a student and have ben using C3`s and C4`s for the last 3-4 years. Don`t get me wrong, I love them but I needed something with a faster retreive for rubber. i just ordered the Lexa Wn 400hl. Is that a good reel, many saltwater forums praise these things. How long will it last. Should I return it and get the Tranx 401.
    I've got the 5.1:1 and 6.3:1 ratios of the Lexa 400, and have been entirely satisfied with them. One is about 4 years old and has been perfect. I caught an approximately 50 inch fish on the 6.3:1 a few years ago, and the drag and my 9 ft extra-heavy action rod quickly got the fish to the net.

    FYI, I did purchase all 5 of my Lexa's on eBay, where they are often available for about 30-40% discount. (prices vary) None of these reels has had any failures in about 5 years of fishing. They replaced Revo Toro 50/60's. (Lexa has better drag, better cast control and better durability, based on my experience with both brands)

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    5

    thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by BLL_BIGFISH View Post
    I've got the 5.1:1 and 6.3:1 ratios of the Lexa 400, and have been entirely satisfied with them. One is about 4 years old and has been perfect. I caught an approximately 50 inch fish on the 6.3:1 a few years ago, and the drag and my 9 ft extra-heavy action rod quickly got the fish to the net.

    FYI, I did purchase all 5 of my Lexa's on eBay, where they are often available for about 30-40% discount. (prices vary) None of these reels has had any failures in about 5 years of fishing. They replaced Revo Toro 50/60's. (Lexa has better drag, better cast control and better durability, based on my experience with both brands)
    Yes, I bought my 6:3:1 on ebay for $160 with 15% off. Much cheaper than $250 at gander or dicks.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    177
    Spent couple bucks more and get the Lexa HD version, both 300 and 400 are excellent reels.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    2
    Just my experience here, but I have had nothing but problems with the Diawa 400 reel. I have a friend who has used one for one season and has had similar problems. This reel gets great reviews overall, however it like there are a few duds out there and it's nothing but problems. It is extremely powerful and very smooth to reel in. However, I very much dislike that the worm gear disengages on the cast. For such a wide spool, it wears on your line and causes the occasional backlash.
    Also, if you have the power handle, it is very "top heavy" and on a hard cast can rotate the handle and cause the reel to engage, snapping your line or in my case, breaking the anti reverse pawl, which is very flimsy.
    In some other the other reels (which I have seen on reviews from amazon), like mine, every once in a while it seems like the button does not disengage the spool, like it's stuck. I don't know why, but these things are very frustrating when you pay that much for a reel. I feel like it is a bass reel that is just made larger for muskies. I don't have a tranx so I cant compare. But on a reel like a Calcutta where the worm gear stays engaged, the casting is much smoother in my opinion.

    EDIT - fyi I have the daiwa lexa 400 pwr-p

    Don't want to trash anything, but this is my experience with the Diawa lexa. I will not buy one again. I think every reel with a spool that wide has to have a worm gear that stays engaged (does the tranx? I'm not sure).
    Last edited by eastman03; 05-22-2018 at 03:26 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •