Thread: Trailer plates

Trailer plates

My boat and trailer were bought and registered in Illinois last year. The boat is stored and used only in wisconsin. Unless the rules changed, i dont believe boat trailers require a license plate in Wisky. Do i need to renew the trailer license plate?

Not unless you want to take it back to ILL or another state.

Thanks, Larry. That's what I thought.

not going to swear this is right...but I think Wisconsin law may vary depending on the GVW and number of axels on the trailer. So, a 620 Ranger with a tandem trailer could require a plate while a smaller Wisconsin rig would not. This ought to send Heiting to some official site to clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by junkman View Post
    not going to swear this is right...but I think Wisconsin law may vary depending on the GVW and number of axels on the trailer. So, a 620 Ranger with a tandem trailer could require a plate while a smaller Wisconsin rig would not. This ought to send Heiting to some official site to clarify.
    Marty, thanks for getting someone else to do your homework ... but (sigh), you were right. I guess I'm a little predictable.

The cut-off for trailer registration in Wisconsin is 3,000 pounds. 3,000 and over is required, under is "optional." (Like somebody is going to volunteer to pay for registration.)

Scroll to the bottom of this page for trailer info: http://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/safety...pect/faqs.aspx
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

If you have a single axle trailer don't get plates. I have never been questioned on it and I am pretty sure my rig is over 3,000 Lbs.

I have a Lund Fury 1600. It's not even 2,000 lbs. No plates for me! Take that, Illinois robber barons.
    Thanks, guys.