Thread: Any "Northern" Lakes Open For The Opener?

Any "Northern" Lakes Open For The Opener?

How they looking?

The ice is pretty shabby on all of the lakes in northern Oneida and southern Vilas. That said, there were two guys ice fishing on Save More Bay on Lake Minocqua this morning, with open water about 30 feet from them. The pond on the other side of Highway 51 (sometimes called "Save More Pond") was half-open this morning, and generally the lake takes about a week to open up after the pond.

I had to go to Rhinelander this morning before going to the MHM office, and no single lake that I saw from the road was open yet. The tour included lakes Minocqua, Tomahawk, Boom, Big Carr, Little Tom, McGrath, Katherine, Madeline, Carrol, Pickerel and Little Saint Germain, and the Rainbow Flowage. Last evening I saw Brandy, Arrowhead, Little Musky and Johnson. Little Musky was about half-open. Otherwise, the ice on all of them is very dark and honeycombed on top, and there's no way I'd walk on it.

It's 75 degrees, windy and partly cloudy right now with a chance of thunderstorms forecast for this afternoon and rain tonight. The 15-day forecast is 60s and 70s every day, so the ice should be off almost everything by the weekend of May 12-13.

For the opener, I've been saying it for two weeks that I think the lakes with water flow in them, such as the Eagle Chain and Rainbow Flowage will be open. Beyond that, it's anybody's guess. I'll post more later in the week.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

I think Steve's idea is correct. I live on a small chain/flowage near Rhinelander. At 6:00 AM today, I could still see the outline of the snow banks from the ice rink I shoveled out at Christmas. Ice was melting but still close to shore. At 6:00 PM, there were two full curl mallard drakes fighting like mad over a hen a hundred yards from shore in open water. Combination of heavy flow from melting snow, wind and warmth was about as good as it gets for getting rid of ice. However, the largest lake in our chain, where the boat launch is, still is mostly ice covered. That strong south west wind really moved and helped melt ice today. By Saturday, I am guessing any river based flowage will have a lot of open water. But, you will have to be careful about floating ice even if you can find an open launch.

Here in Three Lakes, I cannot believe how fast the ice is going. The warm wind today opened up things a bunch. Where I was ice fishing through 39" of ice 2.5 weeks ago is all open today. We are still a good foot low on water level. Warm, wind, rain, current, I predict the chain will be 60% open Saturday, launching will be the challenge.

I'm changing my prediction, I think 3 Lakes Chain will be 90 percent open by Saturday, the ice is going out fast.

Ice conditions are rapidly changing. Today is forecast for 70 degrees again, so we'll see where that takes us.

Last evening there was a guy ice fishing on Lake Tomahawk, so nobody should even hope for open water there by this weekend.

In my drive to work this morning I saw that Little Musky and Fawn lakes are open. Brandy, Arrowhead, Big Arb, Little Arb, Big Saint and Little Saint are not.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Over by Eagle River, Watersmeet Lake is open (as you'd expect) as well as the Eagle River. However, the "bullpen" area of Yellow Birch at the T-Docks still had ice on it, though it was rapidly leaving.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

This morning, Madeline, Carrol, Pickerel and the Rainbow Flowage all still had ice on them. Ugh.

AND ... I didn't see this, but I heard from a good source that there were two ice fishermen on Big Arb this morning.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Around Hayward most of the smaller lakes are open as of today, even many parts of the chippewa flowage. But the big deeper lakes (over 1,000 acres) no, they still have ice. Calling for high wind this afternoon and a high today of 72 so maybe a miracle will happen??
    I took these pictures a little while ago of the DNR boat landings on Lac Courte Oreilles, and Grindstone. Friday May 4th 12:15 pm. Yes that is still snow in the parking lot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0713.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	2141   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0714.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	2142   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0715.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	2143  
    Last edited by coldfront; 05-04-2018 at 12:13 PM.