Thread: Newbe

Newbe

Just starting back to fishing after 20 years and had some questions?
    1 will my medium action pole(fibergass) and spinning reel (Mitchel 300) do ok for musky?
    2 What size net do I need for 40inch plus muskies? Do I need a net for fishing from shore?
    3 I am really concerned about releasing muskies with a hook in their mouth, is this ok? what happens when they break off with your lure? does this kill the muskie? I am told that when using live bait and the muskie swallows the bait that this kills the muskie.
    4 I plan on catch and release but are there cases when you should harvest the fish?.

1. No- Get a decent baitcaster and good rod with high quality braided line 80# at least and use a quality leader like the ones Stealth Tackle makes.
    2. Drifter Predator XL is a good one- Frabill has good nets too
    3.No this is not ok or good for any fish. Can kill them. Yes if the musky swallows your live bait with hook it will die. You should not ever be breaking off fish unless something is very wrong.
    4. Do everything in your power to get the fish back in the water asap. Have the proper release tools- especially a good hook cutter like knipex. Get all hooks out of the fish as fast as you can- Good rule of thumb is a musky is good out of water about as long as you can hold your breath under water.
    I would recommend going out with a reputable guide to show you proper equipment to use, including release tools, net and properly handling fish.
    Also think about joining a local musky club go to the meetings you will learn there, get a subscription to Musky Hunter magazine you can learn a lot that way to.
    Jeff Hanson
    madisonmuskyguide.com

Quote Originally Posted by alpacajeff View Post
    Just starting back to fishing after 20 years and had some questions?
    1 will my medium action pole(fibergass) and spinning reel (Mitchel 300) do ok for musky?
    That rig was state of the art 40 years ago but wasn't a musky rig then and certainly isn't now. As Jeff said, get a baitcaster and a good rod. A baitcasting reel will prevent line twist, and a real musky rig will take the abuse of casting musky baits. With lighter gear, you take the abuse.

2 What size net do I need for 40inch plus muskies? Do I need a net for fishing from shore?
    The bigger the better, but most importantly make sure it has a treated bag so it doesn't tangle as easily nor cause harm to the fish. After you net a musky, leave the net bag and fish in the water so it can continue to breathe while you unhook it.

3 I am really concerned about releasing muskies with a hook in their mouth, is this ok? what happens when they break off with your lure? does this kill the muskie? I am told that when using live bait and the muskie swallows the bait that this kills the muskie.
    Leaving a hook in a fish, or a lure on their face, could kill a fish. Their stomach juices and rust don't make hooks fall out as was previously believed by many. Good unhooking tools are needed to safely release muskies. If you wonder what you need, Google it because it's been covered/discussed at length sometime somewhere.

4 I plan on catch and release but are there cases when you should harvest the fish?.
    There are no cases in which you should harvest a musky. Some populations are maintained through natural reproduction, but most are maintained through supplemental stocking or completely through stocking. Releasing muskies not only helps maintain the fishery, but allows you to share the excitement with other anglers. If you want a mount for the wall, take a picture of your released fish and see Rick Lax or Joe Fittante and get a replica mount made.

If you think you want to eat a musky, let it go and eat a northern pike.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

I agree with most everything up here, with a couple obvservations:

1. Before you go putting a bunch of time, money, thought, and more money into this, go hire a guide for a couple days. Go out and see if you even enjoy doing this. See what equipment he or she has, use it, and see if you are comfortable with it.

2. As far as the net, I will disagree that 'bigger the better'. Get one with a big enough hoop that you can fit a good fish into it; however, from your question, it sounds like you may try fishing solo (from the bank?). If so, you will want one light enough to handle one-handed while you work the rod with the other. And, a long extension handle to reach out. You really don't want to try to hand land and beach a fish if you can help it. Go to a store and try a few, see what feels good (same advice with rod and reel! You may get them cheaper on-line, but you can't see how they feel to you).

3. There are situations where you will 'harvest' a muskie. Sometimes, for whatever reason, they die during or right after the fight. Not always, not often, but they do. When / if that happens, be keenly aware of size limit restrictions where you are. Even if it's dead, you can't keep it if it's short of the limit and the turtles will love you for turning it back. I understand the meat is very good, better than pike but not quite walleye; I can't imagine cleaning one, though!

Go see if it is fun for you and if so, welcome aboard! m