Thread: Is this a good rod for muskie fishing/what reel?

Is this a good rod for muskie fishing/what reel?

Good morning

Some time back I picked up a 7' Fenwick Legacy XH Conventional Rod rated 1-4oz and 15-30lb test.

I would like to try muskie fishing. Is this a good rod and what reel would you suggest for it.

Thanks for your time.

I have no experience with the rod in question but a quick Google search shows it's a baitcasting model. With its ratings I think it will work well as a starter rod. As you get into the sport more you will find newer rods are lighter with faster actions and generally more life in the blank ... and that's usually the beginning of the slipper slope of acquiring tackle for musky fishing.

The rod's line rating requires some interpretation. Most musky anglers use braided Spectra lines that test 65-, 80- or 100-pounds. The key here is they are very thin for their breaking strength and their diameter is equivalent to 16-, 18- or 20-pound test monofilament, respectively. You'll note all of these line diameters fit perfectly within the line rating of the rod. Most musky anglers choose 80-pound test braid, and good lines are made by PowerPro, Tufline, High Seas and Cortland, among others. Braided Spectra doesn't stretch or rot -- both qualities make it far superior to monofilament or Dacron.

For a baitcasting reel, the best inexpensive model I know of is Shimano's Cardiff, which should give you some good years of use. Better reels will cost $200-$500 and Shimano, Daiwa, Abu Garcia and Okuma all make some outstanding models.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Thanks for your input.

Greatly appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by AlanJ View Post
    Good morning

Some time back I picked up a 7' Fenwick Legacy XH Conventional Rod rated 1-4oz and 15-30lb test.

I would like to try muskie fishing. Is this a good rod and what reel would you suggest for it.

Thanks for your time.
    Not sure, but if this Fenwick is one I had where the front handle is also the reel seat, these were pretty stiff, so absolutely 80 or 100 lb test superlines are a good choice.

Like Steve said, you'll probably want to go longer (9 ft) if you purchase a rod, but this will still work well, especially with Suicks and other jerk baits. Could also be a nice sucker rod, assuming this may be brown fiberglass versus black or gray graphite?

Lots of good old reels around. Would work nice with a St Croix AC300 or comparable Daiwa, if you hunt for used reels.

Thank's for sharing information,I was also interested in this issue

Last edited by Jacks999; 08-17-2018 at 03:45 AM.

Any other Reel recommendations. I went with a guide on 4 trips last year and he was using Shimano Calcutta (not sure the size though) and a Shimano Tranx. Is the Tranx over kill? Seems like a really big reel for a short fight with no drag. From what he said, he wanted to lock down the drag and lead the fish around the boat until he can get a net under it.

What size reels do ya'll recommend... I'd love a reel with enough drag power but is maybe smaller than the Tranx ... something I could cast all day.... 1000 cast or so ;-)

PS.. Oh, I'm a newb to muske so, hey!

For reels, I like the Daiwa Lexa 300 for price and performance. I've got three, and have had no failures of any kind, after a few years of fishing them. They have a powerful drag, an assortment of gear ratios, magnetic cast control, and choice of handles. (paddle or power) Check out eBay for best pricing. (retail is about $200, but can often find for 25-35% discount)

Also, I fish them with 65, 80 and 100 lb test, noting they have good line capacity too.
    Last edited by BLL_BIGFISH; 06-18-2018 at 11:45 AM. Reason: add