Thread: NW Angle by Boat?

NW Angle by Boat?

Greetings,

Am considering a trip to the Angle for mid-June, and am reading up on the proposition. I understand the "over-land" route can be adventurous, and hard on the finish of a truck and/or boat.

l know a boat trip is about 40 miles one-way. I downsized to a 165 Classic CS with a 70 hp 4-stroke last year. With gear and one other fisherman, I could travel 30+ mph in reasonable water. Wind and waves would certainly change the rate of travel/speed. If the winds are predominantly out of the west, there's probably some relief from the western shore of LOTW.

Water travel would also avoid the customs hassle.

Does anyone have any experience with the water route . . . like "scenic and safe" or "not bad" or "avoid at all costs"?

I don't throw for muskies as much anymore . . . now that I'm older. We'd probably fish for smallies or walleyes most of the time, but would allocate parts of most days to muskies.

Is the Canadian muskie opener productive . . . assuming "normal" weather this spring??

Thanks in advance for any insights!
    Last edited by Arch; 03-05-2018 at 07:08 PM.

Navionics says it's "only" ~24 miles from the vicinity of Arnesen's Rocky Point to Oak Island. I call it a 6 gallon container of gas . . . give or take. Hmmm . . .

I've done that trip 14 yrs. ago. It's rough and hazardous with large waves. I'd never do it again if that tells you anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Arch View Post
    Greetings,

Am considering a trip to the Angle for mid-June, and am reading up on the proposition. I understand the "over-land" route can be adventurous, and hard on the finish of a truck and/or boat.

l know a boat trip is about 40 miles one-way. I downsized to a 165 Classic CS with a 70 hp 4-stroke last year. With gear and one other fisherman, I could travel 30+ mph in reasonable water. Wind and waves would certainly change the rate of travel/speed. If the winds are predominantly out of the west, there's probably some relief from the western shore of LOTW.

Water travel would also avoid the customs hassle.

Does anyone have any experience with the water route . . . like "scenic and safe" or "not bad" or "avoid at all costs"?

I don't throw for muskies as much anymore . . . now that I'm older. We'd probably fish for smallies or walleyes most of the time, but would allocate parts of most days to muskies.

Is the Canadian muskie opener productive . . . assuming "normal" weather this spring??

Thanks in advance for any insights?

I drive the gravel route to the Angle two or three times per year. A good set of mud flaps (I use Rock Tamers) and a reasonable driving speed makes dust about the only problem, and that's mostly eliminated by a good boat cover. If you launch at Morson you'll have paved roads all the way.

Re: customs, you still need to pass through customs north of Baudette and there's no way to avoid it. If you're polite and don't have the appearance of a terrorist or a drug smuggler, it's really not a hassle.

About midway through the water route is Little Traverse Bay, which is pretty big water. Most days you can sail on through, but some days would amount to your "avoid at all costs" concern.

The Canadian opener can be really good if we have a normal or warm spring, or really tough if it's a late and/or cold spring ... and that we won't know until May or June.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Angle by boat.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbite View Post
    I've done that trip 14 yrs. ago. It's rough and hazardous with large waves. I'd never do it again if that tells you anything.

Thank you bigbite. Valuable perspective!

Angle by boat.

Thank you Steve! I appreciate your insights.

You're "gonna need a bigger boat." m

I have thought about doing it also but the drive going up through Warroad really isn't that bad. If you hit those gravel roads early in the morning the dust is not bad at all.