Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shimano tranx 400a

Shimano tranx 400a

Checking to see if anyone is had any issues last season with there 400a's star drag loosening. Purchased 2 last fall and noticed my star drag loosening while fishing. It happened quicker while cranking with the dbl 10 and 8's and less quicker with spinner baits etc. Every 20-30 min. I would have to check it and have to reset it. Have sent back to Shimano. Would like any feedback that you can give me please.

No issues with mine.

I haven't seen any issues with it. In fact, the more I used it the better I liked it. I think the 400 is a little undergunned for tens even with a power handle, but for smaller stuff it's great. (The Tranx 500 remains the best for tens.)
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Thanks for your comments guys. Really like these reels but definitely a problem there. Have spoken with others and with guides and a number of them have had the same issue. No argument there with the 500pg it will always be the best. I have the power handle on both of my reels and it may be a little undersized for all day 10 work, but better than many of the other reels with higher gear ratios that others are using and Jim himself recommended the 400a in a comparison he did with the 500pg not noticing much of a difference in feel between the two. Part of the reason I went with them. Reels have been sent back to Shimano and am waiting for there response.

Have you heard anything? I have a 400a but havent experienced the same issue as i refuse to throw anything over 8's. 10's are for the 500 and I don't care for either.

Thank you for your response about this issue, have not heard of anything yet.

Mine loosens throughout the day of fishing. Everyday. I’ve lost 3 mid-upper 40,s muskies this year because of it. On 2 of the strikes you could see the slack line fly out the end of my rod in the air. On mine, if it’s cranked down all the way it lasts longer but if I try to use the drag (like when I throw a small crankbait which the hooks could bend out ) it could loosen 2 casts later.
    Last edited by Martin79; 07-01-2018 at 08:37 AM.

Forgot to say I’m referring to the 400 a. I love the reel other than that. So the 500 hasn’t had this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin79 View Post
    Forgot to say I’m referring to the 400 a. I love the reel other than that. So the 500 hasn’t had this problem?
    I've had one since they were introduced and I haven't seen it. All I've done with this reel is periodically oil it. It is built like a tank.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

There has been a problem with them. I sent mine to Shimano. You could also send them to a Shimano warranty dealer and they will help you, they know of the situation. Send me a private message if I can help any further.