Thread: Fall tips for the eagle river chain

Fall tips for the eagle river chain

I've been hunting the waters of the eagle river chain of lakes for about 5 years now... But I've never been here this late in the year. Does anybody have any tips for me. What's types of lures? What speed? What depths of water? Types of structure? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm here on eagle lake for the next few days. And hopefully again at the end of the month. Hoping for my first 40+ for my 40th birthday present tomorrow.

The muskies should be shallow right now with the water temps in the high 50s/low 60s. Drag a quick-strike rigged sucker on the weed edge, and cast overtop the weeds. Look for the thickest patches of weeds that are still good. This is the time of year you can catch them on everything from topwaters to suckers, but I'd start casting smaller minnowbaits or Suicks/Bobbies, and speed up or slow down depending on how the fish react. If they don't eat your lure they may follow out and eat the sucker. No need to get out at the crack of dawn, but don't overlook last light in the evening.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Thanks Steve. Got my first Tiger on the chain yesterday. Got it on a medussa. Still didn't break the 40 mark yet tho. It was my personal best at 39 tho!!

I don't own a suick. Would a shallow raider b considered a minnow style bait? If so, how should I work it? Straight retrieve, twitch, jerk?

Hi Matthew:

Congrats on the personal best, and a tiger, too! Great fish.

Yes, a ShallowRaider is a minnowbait. If it's a straight model, it's best worked with a twitch-pause-twitch-pause retrieve. Jointed models, on the other hand, are best either straight retrieved, or with what Joe Bucher calls a "purr" retrieve, in which he pulls the bait 3-4 feet, pauses, and repeats to the boat.

Good luck.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Thanks again. I found an old suick in my late grandfather's tackle box also. So would u run that lure the same as the shallow raider? Straight model that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_klink View Post
    Thanks again. I found an old suick in my late grandfather's tackle box also. So would u run that lure the same as the shallow raider? Straight model that is.
    Suicks are fished with a pull-pause-pull-pause retrieve. It should dive when you pull it and rise as it pauses. To maintain contact with the bait, of course, you need to retrieve slack line during the pause. I've seen lots of beginning Suick fishermen make short pulls with a steady cadence, but I have best success with longer, erratic pulls. You're trying to imitate a dying or feeding baitfish, which to a musky is an easy meal. Dying and feeding baitfish have no set cadence ... so get as creative as you like.

I never put my boat in the water without a half-dozen Suicks ready to go.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Ok Steve. Thanks so much for all the great tips and information. Hopefully you will help me out a couple in the boat today!!!