Thread: Measuring 'skies

Altarocks

Measuring 'skies

Just wondering what standard protocol is for measuring a musky. Most DNR regs state length should be measured with lobes of tail fins compressed to give the longest possible measurement. Not real practical for a 50" fish.

I've seen this method turn a keeper walleye into a slot-protected fish, which makes me wonder if I've been under-sizing all my muskies.

RE: Measuring 'skies

MNR regs in Ontario are the same:
    "Size Limits

Pinch tail is the rule in most of the states i fish. I usually don't pinch the tail but i'm also not trying to squeeze the last 1/2 inch out of a fish. it could make a huge difference in tourney fishing where every inch matters. You could also get into trouble with the DNR if you exceed a slot limit because you didn't account for a tail pinch. Its your call to make.

rnovak

Just eyeball it. That's all that's needed. :7 :7 :7 :7

Now to folks that say they don't pinch the tail. So what? The pinch tail is more for consistency for the lab techs and law guys (aka wardens) so everyones on the same page also known as a standard.

I caught a 29.5" i tryed like heck to pinch the tale and no way i could get 30", on say 38" 39"nch fish if you pinch the tale you can get a extra half inch however on giant fish its too stiff to get any more lenght. Just may experence.

In the water in its natural suspension, not laid out on a bump board or hanging I dont feel those are actual lengths, but thats just my thought.

The DNR uses a bump board, you cant pinch the tail to gain, Ive seen them sweep the tail, but what does it really matter, its about fun and living a experience for yourself.

Have fun fish and dont worry about the things that dont matter..

Muskiestosis
    100% C&R
    fish>EGO

More importantly is how do you determine the color of the tape marks on the measuring stick????
    Chris}> }> }>
    "Hey what did I ever do to you?"