Thread: Muskies Age

Muskies Age

I have only read that they live on the average to 12 years & would average around 46 inches in length. This came from my DNR web site in Iowa. The food source in lakes must be the deciding factor for larger fish. So my question is when we release the larger 50/55 inch fish how much more time do they have? This formula has to be different in Canada lakes I would image.
    By the way I have not got that 50 incher yet!

Dick

Muskies in the south average 12 years, but in the north, they can live to 30 years and more, but average closer to the low 20's.

Quote Originally Posted by moleman View Post
    So my question is when we release the larger 50/55 inch fish how much more time do they have?
    They have more time if you release them than if you thump them on the head!

Seriously, Illinois, Iowa, Indiana and even more "southern" states have produced 50-inchers, so catch and release works there as well as in the north. The fish in the south just don't live as long, as Larry pointed out. It's kind of a live fast/die young sort of thing.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

This quote comes to mind.

"Dead 50 inch fish don't follow, dead 50 inch fish don't hit, dead 50 inch fish don't fight and escape, dead 50 inch fish don't give you the thrill of a lifetime and dead 50 inch fish don't reproduce. They just hang there: dead worthless curiosity's." Jack Burns