Thread: Fishing During the Eclipse

Fishing During the Eclipse

Well what impact will the eclipse have on fishing, either during the eclipse or within the 24 hour period surrounding the eclipse? Will the change in the light conditions confuse fish into hiding or make them more active? Thoughts?

Jay

Hmmm ... interesting question, Jay. I don't know what effect it will have on the muskies, outside of low-light is almost always good.

Maybe I'll "assign" myself to go fishing and find out!
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

I do believe such research is mandatory! This could open a whole new set of muskie feeding theories. Wish I could go too, but it will be 90* here Monday! m

I hope the eclipse period doesn't turn out to be the "Can't Miss" time. Pretty sure I won't have another during the remainder of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyJerking View Post
    I hope the eclipse period doesn't turn out to be the "Can't Miss" time. Pretty sure I won't have another during the remainder of my life.
    Next one is April 8, 2024...

Well Steve, did you get out to do any research? Mine was inconclusive. I didn't see a fish, but that's not unusual for me. I did notice that it was eerily quiet. No birds whistling, not sounds at all, just boat traffic. Did notice the birds again near the end of the eclipse.

Jay

I heard of 6 muskies boated on Pewaukee Lake during the two-hour period around the eclipse.....

Jay, I wasn't able to get out and fish. However, a friend caught his personal best fish of 52 inches during the peak of the eclipse -- the only musky he caught during a brutally-slow week of fishing. And, today I posted on the Trophy Tails page of this site two photos of first muskies caught by kids during the eclipse: http://www.muskyhunter.com/trophy-tails-2/
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

got to Cass Lake day after event only to hear fish were "nuts" during eclipse. Naturally, it was too late for me and majority of field who watched it take about 100 hours per musky only days later. Go figure.

I fished Leech Lake the day of the eclipse and there was little to no bit on walleye or northerns. The day after I caught 2 muskies, one at 50".
    Last edited by Muskycat; 09-07-2017 at 09:15 AM.