Thread: Diawa Lexa HD400 issue?

Diawa Lexa HD400 issue?

Hey y'all, relatively new member. First post:

I know the Lexa HD's have become very popular and I'm curious if anyone else has issues as described below. I haven't seen any posts regarding problems I've seen.

Last year I purchased 2 Lexa-HD's and used them on a couple of Canadian trips. Not overly heavy use, but in the rotation with 5 rod/reel setup's.

I was pleased with their performance; equally as well as the Toro Beast's I have; however while practicing for an upcoming trip, I noticed some "play" in the power handle/drive shaft. I tried the other HD and same issue. It also makes a click/pop as the play moves in and out, which drives me crazy. I never noticed any play last year, they seemed solid and smooth. I may be more on the anal side of things with my reel operations, but I expect them to feel tight. No issues at all with my Beasts. Since both Lexa's were doing the same thing, I decided to clean and service them, which seemed to help the clicking, but the play was still there. The clicking/popping soon returned too. I opened it back up looking for any obvious internal issues. After looking at the drive shaft component string, I noticed a small, but obvious gap at the end of the shaft between the screwed down plate (no. 4102700) and the shaft retainer clip (no. 2000580). What's happening is this small play (1/16" maybe) allows the shaft to move in and out all the way from the shaft bearing up to the power handle. Even a small amount of play will feel much worse at the end of the power handle, and even more so with the XS-P 8:1

This certainly appears to be a design problem with Lexa's, and if so I would expect to hear of others with same issue.

Some thoughts:
    Prior to the drive shaft screw down plate, there is a washer (no. 5406600) that would be the same diameter to fit between the gear shaft retainer and the underneath side of the plate. Seems to me adding a washer (or 2) would prevent the retainer clip from unnecessary movement and keeps the end of the shaft seated in the bearing.

Sorry for the dissertation, but since this appears to be design related to a popular reel, I wanted to be as clear as possible with details.

Same here, including 2 300's I have in use 4 years now
    Don't like it but it doesn't get any worse for me.

I agree, I don't think it's going to deteriorate over time. It's more about the annoyance, especially with hard pulling baits. That said, unnecessary mechanical movement will certainly never increase longevity. I just ordered a few of the synthetic spacer washers from Mike's. I don't see any reason those won't reduce the gap. I'll follow up after I receive them.

Also, when reviewing the schematic I noticed an additional washer near the same location of the bottom of the drive shaft stack (549-7229). Interestingly enough, this washer is missing on both of my reels and it doesn't even register as a valid part number at Mike's. Diawa has done something weird here.

Please update, if that worked
    Thanks

Ordered 6 washers from Mike's, but they mistakenly only sent 1. I installed the single washer and it definitely helped. Much better. Probably could use 1 more. They are very thin. I'm confident this will resolve the issue.