Thread: Nets

Nets

Hey,
    Im looking for a small muskie net. I fish out of a 10ft. bass raider boat on smaller rivers. Ive seen the types that fold but Im not interested in unfolding a net with one hand and fighting a muskie with another. Any suggestions?

RE: Nets

Take a look at the Frabills. IMO, they are the best nets on the market. I have 2 Frabills. 1 "normal" size one for Bass, Walleye...ect. I also have "The Big Kahuna." That net is much bigger than what you are looking for, but they make other smaller ones that will work nicely.

I would purchase a Beckman Magnum Fin Saver 34"hoop w/40"deep pen treated bag.This net is very light in weight and the small mesh on the sides is easy on the muskies fins.Get a tube style rodholder and stand the Beckman net straight up in the air.
    www.beckmannet.com

Capt. Larry D. Jones
    www.mostlymuskies.com/reports.htm

You mignt want to consider a Stowmaster?

It folds in half the size of other nets, and takes up less room. Good quality and perfect for a small boat which I assume you need as much room as possible?

My 2 cents
    Jason

I would look at the Stowmaster nets. They offer many different sizes and can work in your small boat, because they fold up when not in use. You can also get the case to store them in if you want. Take a look
    http://www.stowmaster.net/

I would suggest the TS94X or the TS94IM when stowed they are only 16"x44"

Hoop size is 30"x32" when deployed bag depth is 36" - 38"

Dave

I currently use a smaller, lighter Frabill in my Tuffy.

A few years ago I got a smaller Beckman at Fleet-Farm, and it was only about $20-30. I think it's a good fit for a row troller or other small boat, so gave it to a friend who fishes mostly walleye from his row troller. If I recall, it had a 36 inch deep bag, OK for most muskies, though I certainly wouldn't go any smaller. It had a solid handle, not an extension handle.

I had a similar, but larger Beckman that I used for years, but lost a nice musky in 1987, because it was too heavy to scoop the fish in just one hand.

Personally, I fish alone a lot, and my net is always extended anyhow, as it's difficult to play and net a fish without having to deploy the net.

I don't recall the exact size of my Frabill, but suspect it's one of the following, from R&H, for about $40:

-Frabill "Pro-formance" Poly Nets

When I bought the Frabill I took it back because the screws holding the handle yoke were too small, or stripped. I examined a few they had in stock, and only found 1 that didn't seem as bad. I put glue and slightly larger screws in anyhow, and it's been fine.

>
    >I had a similar, but larger Beckman that I used for years, but
    >lost a nice musky in 1987, because it was too heavy to scoop
    >the fish in just one hand.
    >
    REALLY? I use a Beckman Magnum Musky with a Fin Saver net and don't find it too heavy at all. One of the selling features of Beckman is that it is light and strong.

Another buddy that fishes alone all the time uses a Stowmaster but it is unfolded with the handle extended in the boat at all times while fishing.

The old Beckman Nets from years ago had a hoop made of steel and were very heavy.Todays Beckman Nets are made of airplane grade aluminum are very light,yet very durable.I can hold the Beckman Magnum Finsaver Net with one hand while holding the rod with fish in the other hand and have no trouble scooping the fish into the net.
    I stand the net straight up in a metal roodholder so the net is out of the way and always ready!Also the round handle fits into my downeaster rod holder,to create a hands free holding pen.

Capt. Larry D.Jones
    www.mostlymuskies.com/reports.htm