Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revo Beast Line Guide

Revo Beast Line Guide

Why would Abu not have the line guide go back and forth on a cast? Seems like a giant step backward to me.

Your thoughts?
    --Frazier

If the distance is far enough from the spool to line guide, and the spool is not too wide, they do not need a levelwind to go back and forth. The Shimano Tranx 500 does not have that either and it casts a mile.

If you open the window on your car and drive fast enough, you shouldn't need air conditioning either. Still makes no sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazier View Post
    Why would Abu not have the line guide go back and forth on a cast? Seems like a giant step backward to me.

Your thoughts?
    --Frazier
    I agree that it is a step backwards. I spoke with a rep and his first response was that without the drag of the synchronized level wind that you can cast farther. Seems to me the same case would hold true for the spool tensioner and when I challenged him on that he used the argument that the competition does not have it either and it costs more to have it. You do get used to it, but when I go from my NACL's to the Beasts it just seems so crude in comparison. I do cast differently than most however as I use very little spool tensioning and I think in my case the synchronized level wind acted like a spool tensioner. Anyone who ever uses a reel after I do has to increase the spool tensioning to find it comfortable to cast. We must be in the minority since it seems all the quality reels have gone in this direction.

line guide

The line guide is not really needed on the cast because it just adds friction and drag, which does cause extra wear and a little reduction in cast distance. The only time it is needed is on the retrieve, so that the line lays evenly on the spool.

First off I am a huge Abu Garcia fan.
    However I prefer my level wind remaining engaged throughout the cast for two reasons.

1.) When the level wind is all the way to one side of the reel rather than centered the amount of friction on the line being released is increased. I guess I could look at the level wind position prior to each cast but that's a bit of a hassle. I can't verify this but in my opinion the potential for a backlash is greater when positioned to one side.
    2.) I do notice that upon completion of the cast if the level wind is positioned to one side but the position of the line on the spool happens to be towards the other end of the spool the line doesn't reel back up smoothly at the onset of retrieval. If you pay attention when that is indeed the case, you will notice the possibility of backlash near the finish of the next cast does indeed increase.
    Just my 2 cents - and I'm pretty sure that's all my opinion is worth.

Exactly HuskyJerking! That's the whole point in this discussion and your assessment is spot on.
    Last edited by Frazier; 07-17-2017 at 11:20 AM.

Frazier - my post was in support of your line of thinking.

I understand the feedback from others stating there is a trade-off as the back and forth of the level wind remaining engaged during the cast places more drag on the gears hence slowing down the spool rotation and thereby shortening cast distance.

Maybe it's as simple as 6 of 1 and half-dozen of the other?

I agree with the school of thought that you only have a chance of catching a musky when you are fishing - distance of cast does not impact that time as greatly as time spent getting out a backlash.

Tight Lines

I have a Toro S model 60 I bought last year and it is the first bait caster I have owned where the level wind disengages on the cast. I was concerned but it is a joy to cast and I virtually never have a back lash with it. I was out for 4 hours this afternoon, casting with several different lures with that reel for three hours and never had any issues. The last hour I switched rods and had a reel where the guide does move on the cast and had a back lash. If my experience with the Toro S is typical, you should have no problem with the Beast.

Quote Originally Posted by North of 8 View Post
    I have a Toro S model 60 I bought last year and it is the first bait caster I have owned where the level wind disengages on the cast. I was concerned but it is a joy to cast and I virtually never have a back lash with it. I was out for 4 hours this afternoon, casting with several different lures with that reel for three hours and never had any issues. The last hour I switched rods and had a reel where the guide does move on the cast and had a back lash. If my experience with the Toro S is typical, you should have no problem with the Beast.
    The Toro S is an outstanding reel and, at least to me, is every bit as sturdy as the Beast models but for less money. I also found it a little easier to dial in the casting controls as compared to the Beast models ... don't get me wrong, I really like the Beasts, but I like the S a little more.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com