Thread: Figure 8 on a no-follow lake

Figure 8 on a no-follow lake

I was listening to Mike Hulbertís recent podcast and I believe he said he catches 50% of his muskies on a figure 8. He said itís a mistake not to be doing a figure 8 no matter what lake youíre on. I agree with this on some lakes I fish, however I do fish a man-made lake here in Pa where I honestly never had a follow at least that Iím aware of. Now I will say this is a stained lake and I may be getting follows that Iím not aware of, but I donít think thatís the case. Because of the lack of follows, when fishing during prime time feeding windows Iíll rarely figure 8 so that I can maximize the number of casts I get in during these limited windows. My question is; am I making a mistake by not doing a figure 8 when Iím trying to make as many casts as possible in a short period of time? Thanks.

Figure eight! Muskies will often stalk your bait at a depth which they cannot be seen from the surface. See it alot as they can come in very late or be seen well after you make your next cast. Sometimes just a shadow. You are getting follows your just not seeing them due to the water clarity and the depth at which they are following.

"am I making a mistake by not doing a figure 8 "?

yup. At least give it an L or O. Just give the fish a good chance to make you happy. m

Thank you for the replys

Think of the figure 8 as the follow through on every cast. If you play golf, pitch/throw a ball etc. it just becomes part of the "swing". Once a person gets into the motion of casting the 8 just becomes the natural ending to every cast. Don't ever skip one, because that is the one that will blow up as you lift the bait from the water.

Wish I could remember who said it was better to just do the eights and not cast at all? Sort of agree with that! It's at the least equivalent in importantance.

Great points here, and another is a fig-8 after each cast develops muscle memory and becomes habit. That way, when you do have a hot follow, you're not caught off guard and spook the fish with erratic, sudden movement. Then there's the fish that just appear from seemingly nowhere, and your first clue they are there is when they hit your bait.

There are some lakes where you'll get more than half your fish in an 8. Lake of the Woods is a prime example to which many here can relate. Think about it ... a simple maneuver at the conclusion of the cast on such lakes will double your catch!
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Well, it's getting to be bass fishing time around here. Lake I was on yesterday was warming to 80*. I've found that in the last couple years, when I go bassin, I find myself finishing the casts with a loop, L, or sometimes a full 8. go figure. m

Steve's point about always doing a figure 8 and building that muscle memory is a good one. Tonight I had a fish miss my top water about 30' from the boat. The lake is very dark and I didn't see it again but I had done a figure 8 on every cast all evening and did the same when I got the lure to the boat. The fish ate on the first turn and I still did not see it until it hit. Small fish but it is exciting to have them hit on the 8, no matter the size.

Quote Originally Posted by mikie View Post
    Well, it's getting to be bass fishing time around here. Lake I was on yesterday was warming to 80*. I've found that in the last couple years, when I go bassin, I find myself finishing the casts with a loop, L, or sometimes a full 8. go figure. m
    Mikie, it's not a bad idea to do a loop or fig-8 when fishing for other species. I've caught northern pike, walleyes and bass in figure-8's. The pike and some walleyes were incidental catches while musky fishing, but walleyes can be caught often in an 8 on crankbaits in shallow water.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com