Thread: Tranx Test

Tranx Test

Tranx Test

I have spent some time testing the new Shimano Tranx 400 and 400HG reels with several different musky lures, and my overall reaction is that they are incredibly smooth, solid, comfortable, and will work for all musky fishing applications.

This winter, the big question among many musky anglers was would these Tranx 400 reels handle fishing large, double-ten bladed spinners, such as the Cowgirl. The existing Tranx 500PG is the “standard” to judge the ability of all other reels to fish these hard-pulling lures. So, I performed a Tranx test. I first made several casts with the Tranx 500PG to get a feel for how the existing “standard” performs pulling Cowgirls. I then tried the Tranx 400HG. As anticipated, given the 7.6:1 gear ratio, there was tremendous drag pulling the Cowgirls, and it was much more difficult to retrieve this lure than the Tranx 500PG. I next tried the Tranx 400 with the standard handle. This was easier to retrieve Cowgirls than the Tranx 400HG model, but when I tried to add extra speed to the lure, it was difficult to maintain, and overall didn’t perform as well as the Tranx 500PG. I then switched and placed the Power Handle from the Tranx 400HG on the Tranx 400. When I retrieved the Cowgirl I noticed an immediate difference. It was incredible. I was able to retrieve the Cowgirl with ease, and accelerate the lure and maintain speed. The Tranx 400 with the Power Handle was extremely impressive. I then rotated back and forth between the Tranx 500PG, and Tranx 400 with the Power Handle and I really didn’t notice a difference in lure retrieve performance. What I did notice is that the Tranx 400 is much more comfortable to hold and lighter weight. So, clearly the Tranx 400 with the Power Handle is the way to go for retrieving hard-pulling musky lures.

Having gone through this test, it’s clear that the Shimano Tranx 400 reels will work for all musky fishing applications, and if you are looking for the ultimate Cowgirl reel, the Tranx 400 with the Power Handle from the Tranx400HG is the best.

On another note, if you are fishing muskies early in the season with smaller, downsized lures such as 5” minnowbaits, rattle baits, or oversized bass spinnerbaits, the Tranx 300 spooled with 50 or 65 pound test Powerpro, along with a smaller leader with minimal components is the perfect combination.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2330.jpg 
Views:	1093 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	1988  

Good info Jim. I picked up a 400 at the MN show. Casts like a dream in my back yard.

Thanks for the report Jim, I was already eyeing up the 400 as my new go to reel, but your report has sealed it. I am a Garcia guy from way back, but gotta go with the tide, just like cutting ranks with Lowrance when I switched to "Bird several years ago, never looked back.

Now Jim, can you suggest to Shimano that is time to make the 500 in lefty?
    ... I know, we can dream...

Hello ABU