Thread: I Link for I pilot

I Link for I pilot

I just ordered a new 620FS G2 and will be installing Humminbird Electronics. I am interested to know if anyone has experience using the I Link features. I am most interested in the casting offset and follow the contour features it offers. Does it actually work well?

Clearly, the features like "follow the contour" require more than just the bird units. They are dependent upon using the whole package of the Johnson Outdoors products, needing all three of (1) Birds, (2) Minn-kota, and (3) Lakemaster map chip. I've had this combination for quite a while now and find the technology to work smoothly. Although, quite honestly, I don't find myself using it much. The reason is that with wind and current, there's a constant correction taking place I find a bit bothersome. The "brain" inside wants to take you back to the course, but it's often unable to keep up with any sort of smoothness. And, without wind or current, the auto-pilot is just fine for maintaining course. Now, that said, I just met with the Minn-Kota rep on Friday at the Sport Show, and he tells me the operation of the Ulterra coming with my 2017 is entirely not recognizable with what I'm used to in my 2015. The response time to correct course and "SpotLock" too, will (he says) be just amazing!! We'll see!

Thanks for providing honest real world experience with it. Sounds like it may be a "nice to half" but not necessarily something that is required. Is this something you can add later given you have all three of the Johnson products?

Somebody else will likely "chime in" tomorrow when the crowd returns from Minnesota, but I'm thinking that if you are buying a new 620 with Birds and Minn-Kota already on it, it's a pretty minor expense to add the "link." I'm surprised your salesman didn't push you on it stating the resale value of that sort of thing. Honestly, I've got a 2015 for sale as I'm waiting for the 2017 and people who call about the boat, do ask if it has that. It's often question #2 after they want to know all about how the kicker is mounted, pre-rig, flush-mount and tie-bar sorts of questions.

Ive been shopping abd currently looking at a Helix 7 G2N and a Terrova 80/24 with Link. The differences in price from a Terrova without link to one with is about $300. To add it later to your unit us $700. This is how I've read it on Minn Kotas site.

I can't argue your reasoning. I will be adding that feature as the investment is small and may impact the resale value if not included. I ordered my new boat through Danos Marine and trading in my 2011 620vs 250 offshore. I have 2 weeks to finalize my build so just wanted to make sure of a few things. I am from Winnipeg so I have to add 30% to everything. Last time (2011) our dollar was at par.

My build is 2017 620FS walk thru windshield, G2 250 HO, Kicker c/w troll master (no remote), Helix 9 SI console Helix 7 bow, Terrova 36V 112 with I link, Marine Radio, top set for wife, deck extension, pedestal seat, aluminum trailer.
    Still deciding on whether to hang a Talon off the back. Dont see using this a lot for Musky hunting Lake of the Woods but can see using it for shore lunches to protect the boat. I may use the boat in Florida for redfishing a few weeks a year where the Talon is almost mandatory. Any thoughts on this are welcome?

Quote Originally Posted by ranger rich View Post
    My build is 2017 620FS walk thru windshield, G2 250 HO, Kicker c/w troll master (no remote), Helix 9 SI console Helix 7 bow, Terrova 36V 112 with I link, Marine Radio, top set for wife, deck extension, pedestal seat, aluminum trailer.
    Still deciding on whether to hang a Talon off the back. Dont see using this a lot for Musky hunting Lake of the Woods but can see using it for shore lunches to protect the boat. I may use the boat in Florida for redfishing a few weeks a year where the Talon is almost mandatory. Any thoughts on this are welcome?
    Sounds like you have a great fishing machine in the works. Congratulations.

Re: Talons, they are handy tools. If you buy one, I'm sure you'll use it for more than shore lunches.

Re: Junkman's comments above, I don't use Link much because I'm not big on leaving my boat control to GPS. I try to be more precise than that. This next gen stuff that we'll see in 2017 may change my opinion, however. If Spot-Lock gets even better than it is, I can't imagine how good it will be. I already fish over 20 FOW with slip bobbers for smallies without anchors, simply setting Spot-Lock and letting it do the work. It is remarkable. Of course, I also use Spot-Lock to keep the boat in place when we're unhooking/photographing a musky, and in areas of high wind/current because I can concentrate on the task at hand rather than boat control.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Thanks Steve,

I think I will hang a Talon on the back as well. I will be adding these two items (I-link and Talon) to the build as well. What is the preferred mounting method for the Talon? Quick release or tilting? Or can you get both?

Quote Originally Posted by ranger rich View Post
    Thanks Steve,

I think I will hang a Talon on the back as well. I will be adding these two items (I-link and Talon) to the build as well. What is the preferred mounting method for the Talon? Quick release or tilting? Or can you get both?
    Sorry. That's one question I can't answer.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Sorry to maybe confuse folks here, but I came about an issue based on what's written. I'm getting a Talon on my 2017 620 too, can't wait! But I have another Ranger boat (bay boat) down in Florida's salt water and my Ranger dealer there convinced me to go Power Pole down there because he believes the salt is much harder on the Talon's type of operating mechanics. I'm a beginner in the salt, but I took his advice. Can't say what only 2 weeks might mean, but I would "never" even expose my 620 to salt after seeing what it does.