Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gear ratio for an old man casting twin 10s

gear ratio for an old man casting twin 10s

what gear ratio do most of you use to cast twin10+?
    i'm in the market and have seen from 5.1 to 3.3 ratios, thinking the 3.3 would be too slow but i have no idea
    thanks bob

These days it seems more about the reel and less about the ratio. Originally, I took a 6500C$ and re-geared it to 3.8:1. I was able to reel them in easily, but there was no speed and I was cranking like hell. I ended up buying a 7000iHSN with a ratio of 5.1:1 and it works effortlessly even at the higher ratio because it holds more line and gives you more line retrieve per crank. New reels like the Tranx can burn them with no problem as well, but they aren't cheap. Look at the line retrieved per crank for clues on how well they will work.

It's all about line per turn, compared to size of the handle. The longer the power handle sweep- the easier the retrieve. A big spool with a long handle is ideal. Shimano Tranx is best $$. Daiwa Saltist is a good inexpensive option, but the lack of spool brakes makes casting without backlashes an issue, esp. in wind.
    a Toro Winch is easy as is the 7000 Abu's, just not for speed.

Got a bike for my birthday last fall, and I'm riding it most days down South for the winter. It's really got me thinking about how best to use the gears and how that translates to fishing with hard to retrieve baits like the tens. I've decided in both cases that going nowhere at a really, really high speed is for crap. Better reels and a better bike was the answer. And, there's always the fact that the "burning" you are looking for with blades is not in your wrist! It costs real dollars for an old guy to reel it in fast (or bike well too) but it's pay the money or fish for walleye!

got the inches/crank thingy. the "larger " reels are also heavier which translate to a better more robust product , great for the larger workout, but i can only last approx 1 -2 hrs and i tap out. was told to get a lower gear which i will get , looking at the abu revo beast, would like the tranx but a little on the large size, both are $$$, but well worth the money if my fat butt is in a boat rather then on the beach with an ice pak on my hands. hear you on the walleye thingy but that is nearly as hard on the hands when you drag bottom bouncers for 4 hrs, sucks getting mature, thanks for the replies

Bob, do check out the Abu Garcia 7000iHSN. The HSN stands for high speed narrow (spool). It is not much bigger or heavier than a 6500C3. I can burn and bulge double 10s just fine with it and they didn't break the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by bob-bq View Post
    what gear ratio do most of you use to cast twin10+?
    i'm in the market and have seen from 5.1 to 3.3 ratios, thinking the 3.3 would be too slow but i have no idea
    thanks bob
    My experience as a 65 year old is that I could move a DCG type lure pretty good with a ABU 6500C baitcaster with a 4.6:1 ratio... for about 30 minutes. I even tried an old 6000C, with 3.8:1 ratio, but it's pretty slow.

Now I'll use a Daiwa Lexa 300 or 400 with 5.1:1 ratio, much more easily than the old ABU's. (the Lexa 300's work pretty good for modest speed, and the 400's move the lure a lot faster with similar effort)

I'm sure if I was to use an even larger reel such as a Tranx I could go a little longer, but regardless, I don't want to crank large blades fast for extended periods.

Since a bunch of the "old" guys have chimed in, I figure I should, too.

If you can still find a Revo Toro Winch 60 (4.6:1 retrieve ratio) for sale somewhere, you should be fine. The reel is pretty slow but considerably better than the old 6500 designs. If you need a sudden burst of speed you can always pull on the rod tip down and to the side to quickly pull the bait about three feet away from the fish. They do one of two things when you do this -- charge it and eat, or hit the airbrakes and follow slowly, just as they would if the speed was imparted with the reel.

The Revo Beast (4.9:1) and Tranx PG (4.6:1, but with a larger spool) are outstanding options, but expensive. The Tranx 400 may prove effective, but it's brand new this year and I won't get a chance to use one until musky season opens.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

i just purchased a toro beast T2 BST60, 31 inches/crank, 4.9/1. hoping this will keep me on the electric longer, this is my first abu in 10 yrs, still have my original 6500 and 7000, will look at the lexa400 which is what has been on my radar for a few yrs
    looking forward to using it
    thanks
    Last edited by bob-bq; 02-16-2017 at 01:43 PM.

I couldn't believe how much difference just adding a power handle to my Calcutta 400TE made! Like a whole new reel...much easier to reel in the big blade baits.