Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kid's reel question

Kid's reel question

Howdy. I'd really like to take my 8 yr old grand girl muskie fishing with me this spring. Looking for a spin cast reel she can cast that will hold some 50-60 pound braid and still have a drag system strong enough for her to fight a fish - if the fates allow.

I'm looking to Zebco, wanting some more options, tho. thanks so much, m

I started all of my kids on a Zebco 808. The new ones look totally different than the old ones, but have you seen a 33 lately? It looks like it is still built pretty tough.

808 http://shop.zebcobrands.com/zebco/re...8h-20-bx3.html

The 888 looks even better http://shop.zebcobrands.com/zebco/re...8h-25-bx3.html

Actually, I still have my old 33 from when I was a kid; still have the original box, too. Kinda afraid to use it / lose it. I do like the looks of the 888 (no bearings on the 8o8). thanks so much, m

Just so you guys know, the Zebco 33 was the choice of those who couldn't handle the complexities of a Mitchell 300 ... I think we've all just aged ourselves!
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

I still have my old, old 33 (over 50 years old for sure) along with a couple that I bought for my kids about 25 years ago. I do have some even newer ones that the nieces and nephews use when they visit the cabin.

Steve, I think the 33 was the choice of parents who realized what kind of staggering mess a true spinning reel could represent in the hands of a 4 or 5 year old. I know I bought the 33 for my kids when they were maybe three and the few tangles internally were not too bad to fix. I shudder to think what could have happened with a spinning reel when they lost focus. By the time we had a cottage on a lake and my nieces and nephews were coming up to visit, all I had were ultra light spinning reels and rods. For a couple of them I really wished I still had those 33 equipped rods. I cut and replaced a lot of line on those ultra lights. We had a great time, and saw a number of "first fish" moments but it was not always pretty.

What happens when a spinning reel gets into the hands of a 5 year old? He casts without opening the bail because he doesn't know what he is doing and the line swings around and he puts a hook through his nose. Yep! That was me! Lucky my Dad had some good side cutters.

Dad had me, my sister, mom, and him in the boat on Clearwater Lake - near Annandale, MN - when I went to make a stellar cast with my Zebco rod and reel. Put my Jitterbug right smack on top of mom's head with my backcast, where it stuck. She wore a hat after that. m

The zebco rhino works good with braid, so does the diawa. One thing to remember these are slow.retrieve reels, 3.6 to 1. It takes more thumb pressure to hold a bigger bait vs thumbing a spool. You will need to check that pressure point on braid where the reel holds the line. It can frey it and it can slip. Use smaller baits 5, 6" max that are not heavy.

The Mitchell 300 was all I had 55 years ago when I became a proud owner. I actually, by necessity, learned to replace the bail spring and use it manually when it was broken. These days I never use the bail spring on any spinning reel to engage the reel and it proved useful for my musky fishing as well. Before the age of the TranX and the Beast, we all sought reels to burn the tens without burning our arms. Like many, I turned to the big salt reals, all with manual engage, few with level wind. I feel certain that the childhood experience with the 300 was key to being able to easily adapt to smoothly pushing the lever (no thumb bar) before reeling in the big baits.