Thread: Which Shimano reel?

Which Shimano reel?

So I used the abu c4 last ear and broke a couple times. So now I'm looking at the Calcutta d or conquest. I see great reviews for the Calcutta d and not as many for the conquest. I see it on amazon for 90$ more. So just wondering everyone's take on if the 90$ would be worth the upgrade or just go with the D since many seem to love it. Thanks!!

Sorry to hear you had issues with the C4. Abu makes a lot of great products, but like with everybody else the lower end stuff doesn't hold up well to the abuses of musky fishing. The Toro Winch, Toro S and Toro Beast models are excellent.

Since you asked about Shimano, they make outstanding products. There are two reasons you probably didn't see many reviews for the Conquest -- it's more expensive, so usually fewer get sold, and it was a brand new release last year whereas the D has been out for a while. I didn't particularly like the D because I didn't like the way it fit in my hand, but that's not the reel's fault. As you found out, lots of guys like it. On the other hand, the Conquest may be the smoothest musky reel on the market and feels more sturdy to me. I have one and plan to get more.

As long as you're looking at Shimano you may want to check out the new, 300 and 400 size Tranx models which have just been released. (See attachment.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-01-30 at 9.22.51 AM.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	1937  
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Heiting View Post
    Sorry to hear you had issues with the C4. Abu makes a lot of great products, but like with everybody else the lower end stuff doesn't hold up well to the abuses of musky fishing. The Toro Winch, Toro S and Toro Beast models are excellent.

Since you asked about Shimano, they make outstanding products. There are two reasons you probably didn't see many reviews for the Conquest -- it's more expensive, so usually fewer get sold, and it was a brand new release last year whereas the D has been out for a while. I didn't particularly like the D because I didn't like the way it fit in my hand, but that's not the reel's fault. As you found out, lots of guys like it. On the other hand, the Conquest may be the smoothest musky reel on the market and feels more sturdy to me. I have one and plan to get more.

As long as you're looking at Shimano you may want to check out the new, 300 and 400 size Tranx models which have just been released. (See attachment.)

What size do you like for Muskie with the conquest. I always hear to get the 400 for Calcutta d. But it looks like the 400 conquest is bigger in comparison. Is the 300 a better size or 400 not to big?

You have a PM

Quote Originally Posted by Bodybuilder5 View Post
    What size do you like for Muskie with the conquest. I always hear to get the 400 for Calcutta d. But it looks like the 400 conquest is bigger in comparison. Is the 300 a better size or 400 not to big?
    I like the 400, but then I like big reels because I palm them.

Reel size varies by the manufacturer, and is a little subjective. A Daiwa Luna 300 is approximately the same size in spite of the smaller number assigned to it. (The Luna is also an outstanding reel, BTW.) The best thing to do is to go to a sport shop and handle the reels in person to see which fit you the best.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Heiting View Post
    I like the 400, but then I like big reels because I palm them.

Reel size varies by the manufacturer, and is a little subjective. A Daiwa Luna 300 is approximately the same size in spite of the smaller number assigned to it. (The Luna is also an outstanding reel, BTW.) The best thing to do is to go to a sport shop and handle the reels in person to see which fit you the best.

That was my plan but there isn't much around here. Cabelas doesn't carry the conquest and the only shop around that had Muskie stuff recently closed. But thanks a lot for the input I appreciate it!

The Shimano Calcutta Conquest 400 is very compact, smooth, and easy to palm. It's smaller than the Calcutta 400D. It's an incredible round reel. Like Steve said you should check out the new Tranx 400. That thing is compact, strong and priced at $299.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Saric View Post
    The Shimano Calcutta Conquest 400 is very compact, smooth, and easy to palm. It's smaller than the Calcutta 400D. It's an incredible round reel. Like Steve said you should check out the new Tranx 400. That thing is compact, strong and priced at $299.

Awsome. I was a little nervous it would be a little over sized. Well you guys helped a ton and I really appreciate it! I'm guna go with the conquest 400. May get the tranx in a little while also since that price is very reasonable. Thanks you!