Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice for a Bass Angler learning to chase muskies

I think any good bass angler will have no problem making the switch, with the few noted equipment changes. I live on a lake with both and I have noted several times when watching a boat working the shoreline, I can't tell what they are fishing until they get close enough for me to see the rods and baits. Otherwise, they are fishing the same points, working baits, etc. You follow the good advice posted by others and you will be in great shape. Well, other than adding yet another expensive addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriMark View Post
    What would you have a bass angler change about their fishing style, especially long-ingrained habits, when hunting muskies?
    I suspect a bass fisherman doing a lot of slop fishing would adapt well to fishing muskies, and also that using larger bass baits and equipment will work just fine too. Not that there isn't a place and time for larger baits and tackle. Don't be afraid to get your baits into weeds, which is where most fish seem to come from. Best wishes on your effort to fish muskies, noting that a big fish or two tends to really get the fever going.

Steve, I thought you drove around the lake with your net like that?

Good subject. A good, well rounded bass fisherman will have no problem in catching muskies since muskies and bass share similar attributes. Both can be caught on similar lures and both of these fish are similar in the way they relate to their environment.

Are 'Hook Outs' worth a damn for extracting hooks out of a Muskie. I notice Steve didn't mention them in the needed tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_tob View Post
    Are 'Hook Outs' worth a damn for extracting hooks out of a Muskie. I notice Steve didn't mention them in the needed tools.
    I released hundreds of muskies with Baker Hookouts in my earlier years of musky fishing. But 12- and even 16-inch pliers work better because you can reach farther inside a big musky's mouth. I also like that long pliers keep my hands and fingers farther away from their teeth regardless of the fish's size!
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com