Thread: In search of the perfect in-line spinnerbait

In search of the perfect in-line spinnerbait

Greetings,

I am a hobby-type maker of spinnerbaits - both in-line and bent-arm styles. I make these baits during the winter, for use in the upcoming season. I find it to be fun to make the baits, and rewarding to catch a nice fish on one of my homemade lures. I'm always looking for new ideas/approaches when making such baits.

What would your ideal in-line spinnerbait look like? Color schemes? Materials? Hook type, size and placement? Wire? Lure bodies? Length or weight?

Many thanks. Good fishing and tight lines!!

One problem I've had with in-lines is the top clevis jambing against the end of the wire loop at the top. Usually happens after the bait has been used / bit a few times. I like to see a bead above the top clevis to help prevent this.
    My other frustration is sometimes the whole lure body will turn on the retrieve, m

It’s funny that you mention the bead up top. I have made my own bucktails for many years and I have declared that bead as useless. I do leave a 1 inch gap from the top loop to the clevises. I notice some lure makers use this bead.

I like two bladed lures where each blade is different by color or just hammered vs. smooth. I also add a to ounce lead weight in between the two tail sections to add weight along with the 3/8 to lead weight at the bottom. This really helps on windy days or when you need long casts to cover a spot. The downfall is going over vegetation. But, I find that most of the time I can do it but obviously at a faster speed. I make some with large bobbers in place of lead weights to run over thick weeds.
    I also add rattles in specific locations to add sound. I have tried the bell type bodies to add sound as well. Maybe it makes a difference and maybe not? I like all magnum flashabou for the tails as it doesn’t hold water. I have every color known, but mostly end up throwing some combination of black with another dark or bright color. I have mostly 2 tail sections but I have a few with 3 tail sections and they seem to get bigger fish. My theory is to not go up on the size 10 blades, but have a longer tail to create a larger silhouette. Less wear and tear on you that way when casting all day. Make sure the last hook extends past the end of the tail for nippers. Going above a 7/0 may make a difference, too. It is a cool feeling when you or a friend catches a nice fish on a lure you made. My first year making them, we got 25 muskies in a week on them. We notice a lot more follows these days. I’m trying to think of a way to entice followers into eaters. Maybe a chunk of Johnsonville brat? 

Ever try Uncle Josh pork rind? m

My musky fishing started with a Mepps #3 and pork rind about 40 years ago. Mostly white in color, but I tried frog once in a while. Might have to go back to it as a trailer.
    Last edited by 1morecast; 01-11-2017 at 02:45 PM.

That there was my daddy's favorite combination for smallmouth; he'd put some pork on a daredevil for pikes. m