Thread: Why are most musky rods fast action?

Why are most musky rods fast action?

I was getting all my stuff off of my boat today, and I thought of something. For bass, when you're using baits with treble hooks, you typically want to use a moderate action rod. Most musky baits have treble hooks, so I'm curious why most musky rods have fast actions. Is it because muskies have tougher mouths than bass?

You need the backbone to drive a much bigger thicker hook and bait through and into a muskie's mouth.

What Todd said, plus a faster action allows a better snap for casting (thus putting the strain on your rod rather than your shoulders, arms and back), as well as easier lure manipulation. A moderate action will flex more in all of these cases and you end up working more.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Makes sense. Thanks, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by hahdawg View Post
    I was getting all my stuff off of my boat today, and I thought of something. For bass, when you're using baits with treble hooks, you typically want to use a moderate action rod. Most musky baits have treble hooks, so I'm curious why most musky rods have fast actions. Is it because muskies have tougher mouths than bass?
    You will also find that one brand's "fast action" (bends towards rod tip) will be very different than another brand, and you will find substantial variation within models of the same brand. Personally, I prefer the entire blank to be relatively stiff... even near the tip.