Thread: Gordon Moen

Gordon Moen

Steve, your article on Mr. Moen may be my favorite all-time in MHM.

"... began fishing for muskies in 1936." That's awesome.

Hi:

Thank you for the kind words. Sorry for the late reply, but I was on vacation last week and didn't see this until yesterday.

I agree with you. It is my all-time favorite in Musky Hunter, too. It was a real pleasure to write. Gordon is a true gentleman and was thrilled we wanted to interview him.

That 1936 thing got me, too. I remember how a trip "up north" in the 1960s seemed so long, and the area so remote. I can only imagine what it was like 30 years before that, but he lived it.

What we didn't have space in the magazine to discuss was that Gordon was my earth science teacher when I was a freshman in high school. His was one of those wake-up classes for freshmen to realize they're no longer in eighth grade. Lots of work. I never worked so hard for a C, kind of like my freshman biology class in college which produced the same grade. But Gordon made his class fun, and I have nothing but good memories of being in his class.

Even though I was intrigued by musky fishing at a young age, I had no idea Gordon fished for muskies until I started working for Musky Hunter and we reconnected.

One time while talking with him, I thanked him for his service during World War II. "There were a lot of guys who had it much worse than me," he said.

This world needs more like him.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Heiting View Post
    Hi:

Thank you for the kind words. Sorry for the late reply, but I was on vacation last week and didn't see this until yesterday.

I agree with you. It is my all-time favorite in Musky Hunter, too. It was a real pleasure to write. Gordon is a true gentleman and was thrilled we wanted to interview him.

That 1936 thing got me, too. I remember how a trip "up north" in the 1960s seemed so long, and the area so remote. I can only imagine what it was like 30 years before that, but he lived it.

What we didn't have space in the magazine to discuss was that Gordon was my earth science teacher when I was a freshman in high school. His was one of those wake-up classes for freshmen to realize they're no longer in eighth grade. Lots of work. I never worked so hard for a C, kind of like my freshman biology class in college which produced the same grade. But Gordon made his class fun, and I have nothing but good memories of being in his class.

Even though I was intrigued by musky fishing at a young age, I had no idea Gordon fished for muskies until I started working for Musky Hunter and we reconnected.

One time while talking with him, I thanked him for his service during World War II. "There were a lot of guys who had it much worse than me," he said.

This world needs more like him.
    Excellent story, I am lucky enough to fish with Gordon a few time a year in our club Musky league & it's always a fun time. He has terrific storys & can still fish with the best of them. I also get a phone call about once a week to see what is going on in the world of fishing. I also give him a ride to our meetings. Another thing Gordon does that not many know about is he comes over to my town once a week & helps the 1st graders with reading. His daughter was the 1st grade teacher, but retired a few years ago, but that didn't stop him from still helping out.
    Mike