Thread: Musky breaking the surface

Musky breaking the surface

Hey all. I have a quick question. Last year while fishing with a guide, we saw a musky breaking the surface like a dolphin would. I had never seen that until then. I asked the guide if I should throw over toward that musky and he said no, that they usually do not go after lures when they are doing that. So he proceeds to throw over toward the musky and it attacks his bait. He looked at me right away and said he was surprised it did that. There was no hook up, but it did go after the lure aggressively. Forward to this year. While fishing up in Eagle River, I saw two muskies on two separate days doing the same thing. I threw my bucktail in the direction of the first one and it aggressively attacked. Missed that one. Saw another doing the same thing the very next day. Threw a top raider beyond and in front of it. It attacked after about two turns of the handle, very aggressively, and this time hooked up. Caught my personal best. Thrilling to say the least as it was also my first musky ever on a top water. My question is this. Have any of you had the same experience? I just keep remembering what the guide from last year said to me, yet all three times I have seen a musky do this, it was very aggressive when going after our lures. Just want to see what you all have to say on this. Thanks for all responses.

First, congrats on your personal best.

There are a couple ways a fish broaches the surface. They may completely jump out of the water, they may swirl, or they may simply "porpoise," which is kind of like coming up to the surface and showing themselves. Some people call this latter group "swimmers."

If the fish is moving fast, they probably are aggressive and can be caught. Sometimes they're near the surface chasing baitfish, and your bait gives them something else to chase. Swimmers, on the other hand, may be moving fast, but a lot of them move rather slowly and often don't attack a lure. On some days you can see a bunch of them and not get any to react.

The way I look at it, you've just seen a musky, so why not cast at it? A musky is a musky, and you never know how an individual fish is going to react.

As to your guide, I find it funny that he told you not to cast at the fish, yet he did. Reminds me of fishing with some friends this summer who told me about fishing with a guide who questioned why they bothered to figure-8 ...
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Heiting View Post
    As to your guide, I find it funny that he told you not to cast at the fish, yet he did. Reminds me of fishing with some friends this summer who told me about fishing with a guide who questioned why they bothered to figure-8 ...

Confucius say, "Be wary of the guide who catches more fish than his clients or does things he tells them not to do" :-)

A couple years ago in Sabaskong Bay I saw a monster just hanging out with its dorsal fin breaking the water. At times it would go under & reappear 5o yards away. Chased it for at least 30 minutes, threw the entire box at it & never saw so much as a twitch. Would've given up sooner, but it was probably the biggest fish I've ever seen on LOW.

It was probably fortunate the fish finally disappeared for good - I'd have kept at it indefinitely...

Quote Originally Posted by Dhermo View Post
    Hey all. I have a quick question. Last year while fishing with a guide, we saw a musky breaking the surface like a dolphin would. I had never seen that until then. I asked the guide if I should throw over toward that musky and he said no, that they usually do not go after lures when they are doing that. So he proceeds to throw over toward the musky and it attacks his bait. He looked at me right away and said he was surprised it did that. There was no hook up, but it did go after the lure aggressively. Forward to this year. While fishing up in Eagle River, I saw two muskies on two separate days doing the same thing. I threw my bucktail in the direction of the first one and it aggressively attacked. Missed that one. Saw another doing the same thing the very next day. Threw a top raider beyond and in front of it. It attacked after about two turns of the handle, very aggressively, and this time hooked up. Caught my personal best. Thrilling to say the least as it was also my first musky ever on a top water. My question is this. Have any of you had the same experience? I just keep remembering what the guide from last year said to me, yet all three times I have seen a musky do this, it was very aggressive when going after our lures. Just want to see what you all have to say on this. Thanks for all responses.
    I've seen some interesting musky activity on or near the surface. First, I've seen fish apparently just sunning on the surface, typically fleeing after I got within about 20 yards.

Second, I've seen fish actually breach like a humpback whale, apparently wanting to get a good look at me, coming about 18 inches out of the water with it's back and eyes towards me.

Third, I've had fish swim beside a shallow running bait, seeming to be looking it over, but not biting it, then swimming away after getting to the boat.

Fourth, I've had fish that were swimming on or near the surface hit a bait when I threw it their way, so it can't be that unusual for them to pursue a bait. I generally figure shallow fish are aggressive fish.