Thread: You Can't Beat St. Croix Customer Service

You Can't Beat St. Croix Customer Service

I want to relay an outstanding customer service moment with St. Croix. Recently my 20 year old PM70MHF got a loose reel seat, and being on vacation near Park Falls, I stopped in the store to see if they could fix the rod. They were fairly certain they could, but informed me that it was "old" and not under warranty and that I'd have to pay for the repair, which was fine with me. They told me they would call me when the rod was ready.

****SURPRISE #1****
    Only four days later after dropping the rod off, I got a call from St. Croix saying the rod was done and that even though it was old, they repaired it for free and I could come and pick it up for free. I explained that I would need it shipped, since I was now 300 miles from them, and they said it would only be $20.

****SURPRISE #2****
    The lady went on to say, they would ship it to me, but also mentioned they would give me $125 credit toward an upgrade. "Are you kidding me", was my response and after she laid out my options, I got a new rod for a really sweet price!

Thank you, thank you, thank you St. Croix. I'm a customer for life!
    --Frazier

Greetings,

Your comments above do not surprise me at all. I happen to own quite a few St. Croix fishing rods. Over the years, I have had a few of my fishing rods develop issues. Most of these traced their way back to something that my wife or I did. For example, two weeks ago my wife shut the lid of the live well on the tip of my favorite walleye rod. The guys at St. Croix did a "gold star" warranty and I walked out the door with an upgraded fishing rod at a nominal cost. On a few occasions, the issues were something inherent to the fishing rod. They resolved the issues in a timely manner and completely to my satisfaction.

The one "constant" was that St. Croix was there for me when I needed them. There is something to be said about fishing rods that were designed, manufactured (I know some rods are now made in Mexico) and backed by stellar customer service - all in Wisconsin!

Good fishing and tight lines!!

I am just starting out and I need a 2 pc rod for travel. I have a breakdown 9 ft medium heavy rod...what would you recommend for my second rod? I only use casting rods.

St. Croix

With the prices they charge, they can easily afford to give excellent service. And they do. Thank you, St. Croix, I guess....

Quote Originally Posted by hairy lures View Post
    With the prices they charge, they can easily afford to give excellent service. And they do. Thank you, St. Croix, I guess....
    They may be a bit more expensive, but they're the only rod manufacturer that makes its blanks in the US. Add cutting edge technology and design, top notch components, and the customer service described above ... well, you can't do all of that on the cheap.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

People like to say, "You get what you pay for!" It often implies that when a company uses the best raw materials, the most highly skilled craftsmen, and the finest and most painstaking manufacturing process, those added costs contribute to a higher retail price. It also implies that getting that product is somehow "worth it" to those who really care about such things. Clearly, I have a lot to say about equipment, and could talk on and on about just hooks, line and leaders. But, truly speaking, it's the rod. It's the rod above all else that is the center of what musky fishing is to me. I'll eat peanut butter sandwiches, drive a junker, stay in a flea-bag hotel if it really, really comes to that again....but my St. Croix rods are not negotiable!

Greetings,

I purchased a fishing rod many years ago from a Wisconsin based chain of sporting good stores that Lives in the Outdoors. As I remember, the price of the fishing rod was on the cheaper side of the spectrum. The fishing rod came with a life-time warranty as it was their "store brand".

The tip broke off the rod in the second season of use. I took the rod back to the store from which I purchased it. The woman at the service desk said they would not honor the warranty as I did not have the original receipt. She seemed to be in disbelief when I walked out the door without purchasing another fishing rod from them.

In contrast, my wife had a mishap with one of our St. Croix fishing rods while fishing in Canada last month. We stopped in Park Falls on our way home to replace the fishing rod. The fellow working the retail shop looked at her broken fishing rod and then went into the warehouse to get a replacement. He handed her the replacement fishing rod - no questions asked. I THEN told him that we broke the rod and wanted to pay the cost of the "Gold Star" warranty plan. We gladly paid the fee for their gold star plan.

There is no question in my mind as to which scenario above was the better value to me and my wife. I'm with Junkman, I will gladly give up a lot of other things in life to keep fishing with my St. Croix fishing rods.

We feel incredible pride when fishing with our St. Croix fishing rods. It means a lot to us knowing that our superb fishing rods were designed, made and backed with stellar customer service - all in Wisconsin. This is not negotiable!

Good advice. I have been very happy with Saint Croix rods. They are strong reliable performance rods and they are finished nicely to boot. Thanks, Van

My question centers around what is a strong cross rod that I can use to throw lighter lures for big bass, pike, or musky, but won't break easily. I will fish with 3/4 to one oz Max rattletraps and small bucktails and crankbaits...too old to enjoy throwing heavy stuff..can a rod like a mojo bass 7 ft 8 big crankster casting fit the bill or do I need something like a 7 ft 6 mhf musky rod..is there something not so stiff with more of a parobolic bend that can still set the hook on a big fish?

A St. Croix Lone Ranger 8 1/2 or the St. Croix Top n Tail 8 ft., could probably work for that. the Lone Ranger is the 8 1/2 foot version of the Top n Tail.
    you might also want to consider some brand of bass flipping stick. they are usually 7 1/2 to 8 feet long. Some of them are telescopic and some aren't.
    it may depend on what you want to do more of, bass or musky. the bass flippin' stick will handle lighter stuff and is good for fishing for bass in tough cover. they are used in the spring, pre-spawn where there is no closed season, with lipless crankbaits, like a Rat L Trap.
    the St. Croix's are good for any rotating topwater, smaller bucktails, (meaning not double 10 blades). i also use them for smaller spinnerbaits and smaller crankbaits, like baby depth raiders.
    dave