Thread: 52-inch tiger musky from Utah

52-inch tiger musky from Utah

From KUTV in Salt Lake City, Utah ... I've had days when I seriously question the comment about muskies being "one of the most aggressive fish to ever hit a lure."

By Daryl Lindsey

That's a big catch.

A photo posted by the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources shows Utah resident Joe Weisner posing with a 52-inch tiger musky.

Muskies were introduced to Utah waters in the mid 1990s, according to 2News' media partner The Salt Lake Tribune. The Tribune calls the musky "one of the most aggressive fish to ever hit a lure."

At 52 inches, the musky is one of largest to be caught in the state of Utah. The Tribune reports a 49-inch, 34-pound musky breaking records in 2006, though it's not clear if larger fish have been caught in the meantime.

Sorry, local anglers: Where exactly Weisner caught the musky is unclear. He asked the DWR not to share the location of his prized catch.

Pineview Reservoir in Ogden Canyon is widely recognized as Utah's prime muskie fishing spot, the Tribune reports.

"The chance of catching a trophy tiger musky is what makes [Pineview Reservoir] truly Blue Ribbon," wrote the DWR on their website. "Anglers are reminded to carefully release all tiger muskellunge caught."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d23ecd68-6f5c-492d-b170-81d6c4c11a2f-large16x9_KUTV_DWR_TOOTHIEMUSKIE_8182016.jpg 
Views:	518 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	1881  
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

wow what a fish. Congrats to the angler.. Dream fish for me
    Jeff Hanson
    madisonmuskyguide.com

Awesome fish!

Beautiful fish, congratulations.

Nice one, thanks for sharing

Pretty fish!

Beautiful doesn't describe that fish. Definitely a special fish.

Yes, a rare fish deserving congratulations! In some ways you could easily mistake the patterns on a Tiger for a pike. I often wonder if the fact that the fish is, in fact, half a pike makes the Tiger a fish with a true mix of behavior as well as markings. Does it act more of a true half-breed in making the multiple "dumb" suicide types of strikes a musky seldom will do or is it 100% musky in behavior. I'd love to see a study on that!

Quote Originally Posted by junkman View Post
    Yes, a rare fish deserving congratulations! In some ways you could easily mistake the patterns on a Tiger for a pike. I often wonder if the fact that the fish is, in fact, half a pike makes the Tiger a fish with a true mix of behavior as well as markings. Does it act more of a true half-breed in making the multiple "dumb" suicide types of strikes a musky seldom will do or is it 100% musky in behavior. I'd love to see a study on that!
    I think Tony Grant wrote an article on tigers in a Musky Hunter a few years ago. if I remember correctly, when the tigers get bigger they act more like a big pike, seeking cooler water than would a musky.
    Dave