Thread: Iron County Wisconsin (Moose Lake)

Iron County Wisconsin (Moose Lake)

Hi all. I will be up in the Mercer area for a few days next week fishing. We are thinking of trying some of the smaller less developed lakes in the area. Island lake we may try, but I've heard Moose is a sleeper. Anyone here fished it? I know the launch is a bit primitive. Could I drop a 19 foot Lund in there or is that asking for trouble?

Thanks for any input!

Kyle

You could probably get into the creek with that boat. You have to trolling motor out to get to the lake. The water is black probably the darkest lake I have ever seen. Shallow lake plenty of weeds. Fun and peaceful but I would not put it over other lakes in the area. Success is modest at best. Island I have fished it is a resident hates the muskies lake and they have been harvested. Not done well there.

Thanks for the input Todd. We'll probably drive down there and take a look at the launch and decide. We plan to fish the Gile a bit too, but wanted to try something off the beaten path.

Kyle

Moose is a decent numbers lake. I wanna say it's around 275 acres and shallow throughout most of the lake. The road to, and the launch at Moose is a bit sketchy. Depending on water levels, a 19 foot boat is a pretty big one to get through the canal to the main lake. If you do go to Moose, bring the mosquito repellant.