Thread: Whats Happening on LOTW/Sabaskong

Whats Happening on LOTW/Sabaskong

I will be fishing on Sabaskong July 11 - 15 and am wondering what is happening on the lake. I have fished LOTW before (Big Narrows and Monument), but not Sabaskong. I have the following questions:

1. How is the season progressing so far, is it ahead/behind?

2. Generally, what is (will be) the pattern? Are the fish still in the bays, or have they moved out to the main lake rocks?

3. My guess from Google Earth is that Sabaskong has more weeds and sand than Big Narrows. Is that true, and does that matter?

4. Is Sabaskong different from Big Narrows and Monument in terms of patterns?

5. Any other info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, and best of luck to you all out there!

Brian
    dunnot. dut da dunnot...

Just got back from Sabaskong Bay on 7-2-2016. Weeds were sparse, and those you did find were mostly 2'-3' tall in about 8'-10' of water. I am not sure about the pattern, but we only saw fish in whatever weeds we could find, and that wasn't many. No fish moved off of rocks. Burrows Bay had the most weeds of any in that immediate area. Lots of pike in the weeds also. Boated a 40" pike, 32" ski, had a 50"+ ski all come out of a weedy area no bigger than a 1/8 acre of water.

Good luck!

Brian, just wondering how you did? We are going up tomorrow the 16th for the week. Where did you stay? Thanks!

oly67 sorry, for the late reply. I just saw your message.

We fished for 3.5 days and had 2.5 days of high winds and heavy rain. So, we really didn't venture far from camp at Red Wing Lodge. We had a camp boat without a deep hull and only a 25 HP motor, so travel beyond the mouth of the bay in rough water was risky.

When the weather "improved", it was after a cold front moved in (ugh). We saw only one fish--we got a follow from a weedy bay on a south facing shore which was protected from the cold north winds. It was mid-day with the sun shining. I have seen this pattern more distinctly before and I think it is a legit post cold front pattern. I call it the "rewind the season" because it is almost like spring time fishing where you are looking for warm water. I recall that MHM has said that fish don't move long distances after cold fronts. But in my limited experience, I have seen fish move to slop filled "spring" bays. There are a lot of better fisherman here that can comment more on this and I welcome their input.

On that same day, other people in camp were catching fish from slop weeds.

Brian
    Last edited by lelekb; 07-21-2016 at 09:10 AM.