Thread: Fish Finders

Fish Finders

Hi all...I just purchased my first boat. Used but new to me. I want to upgrade the fish finder that came with it. I am looking for some advice since I have never owned a boat before. I want one for the console and one for the bow. Does anyone have any preferences or recommendations as to which combo would be a good purchase. I don't know a whole lot about these things so any help is appreciated. My budget is between $800 and $1000 for both. Thanks.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dhermo View Post
    Hi all...I just purchased my first boat. Used but new to me. I want to upgrade the fish finder that came with it. I am looking for some advice since I have never owned a boat before. I want one for the console and one for the bow. Does anyone have any preferences or recommendations as to which combo would be a good purchase. I don't know a whole lot about these things so any help is appreciated. My budget is between $800 and $1000 for both. Thanks.

Dan
    You CAN get decent fishfinders for that amount of money, but they won't have all the bells and whistles. They WILL show temperature, depth, bottom structures and anything between the surface and the bottom. Check out any of the manufacturers web sites or sport stores sites for the latest prices. Good luck. Rigging your first boat is fun!

I agree. You don't have to break the bank to get good electronics. Cabela's has some good prices and sales on the Humminbird Helix units, which from my experience are outstanding: http://www.cabelas.com/browse.cmd?CQ...ryId=734095080
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Keep your eye on Cabelas and BBG marine. I picked up a humminbird 899 hd si for $599 from cabelas, and a humminbird 859 hd di with a navionics chip for $454 from BBG. Both brand new, not refurbs.

Not the latest and greatest but are great units for the money.

I'm a Huminbird' guy but its really a Ford/Chevy thing between Bird's and Lowrance.
    Like others have suggested check out the Big Box Retailers; there are often good prices and equipment. A friend just bought (less than a week ago) a 999 Bird from Cabellas for $899 with a 10 Percent discount on points.

If you fish waters that the depth changes a lot I would go with hummingbird they allow you to offset your maps to the actual depth. Cannot do that with Lowrance I fish a lake that changes 20 feet from spring to fall.