Thread: lure rotation process

lure rotation process

sorry if this has been beat to death, but...just saw Bob Benson speak at our CMH club mtg, and he mentioned importance of lure rotation in boat. example 3 people, front orange hair, middle black silver hair, back of boat topwater. And if front gets follow, you may consider switching orange front to become middle lure, because it was only a follow, and you need to keep switching front to find the "biter" lure, not follower lure.
    I am guilty of mostly sticking with whats worked in the past, and especially if Im getting follows, but found it intriguing to switch lure on follows, making educated changes to find the "biter" lure. (Bob Bensons talk was great, anything I got wrong or misunderstood is totally my mistake). I would love to hear thoughts on lure choice progression decisions with one or two people in the boat. Good luck to all this season!

The fish may still bite on the lure it followed, usually when you return to it later during an environmental change. But remember, had the fish wanted that particular bait it would have eaten it in the first place.

When you return, keep the bait that was followed in play, but change up others in the boat. When changing up, I think it's important to follow the rule of "similar, but different." If it followed a bucktail, come back later with another bucktail but with different colors, blades, tail materials and/or size. Any of these variables can be considered a change, but I think the two best are changing the size (either upsizing or downsizing), or if it followed a bright color, coming back to it with a natural color (and vice versa). In the case of a fish following a prop topwater, coming back with a walk-the-dog topwater or maybe a Creeper style may get the fish to go.

In my boat, the angler who had the follow has first choice of lure to cast during the return. The other guys then make their choices. If there are three casting from my boat, I want the first two casting the bait that drew the follow and the similar-but-different bait, and the third bait being something different -- but of a color similar to that of the bait the fish followed. In this example, if the fish followed a firetiger bucktail, the other bucktail should be natural-colored like black and silver, and the third guy would throw, for example, a firetiger-colored minnowbait.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

I would add that the best thing to do with a follow is make a couple of quick casts and then leave the fish alone until an environment change. IMO the best environment change is sunset. Keep in mind that sunset happens at different times in different spots depending on the tree line. So, in the evening, I return to my follows along the western shore first because the sun has already "set" and the trees have cast a shadow over the whole spot. Then, I work my way to the more open spots as it gets darker.

Brian

Marty Forman will be tackling the topic of changing lures in Musky Hunter's August/September issue. Marty interviews Gelb, Thomas, Petros, Hulbert, Berman, Turgeon, Grant, Saric and me for our opinions on the subject. It may help answer your questions about the topic.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Not quite rotation, but if there is expected active fish in the immediate area and two or more people are in the boat and the boat is in at least 5' of relatively weed free water, the back angler should be vertical jigging. Trust me. If a fish follows it does not always dart very far away. Jig in its face.