Thread: Spooling line...

Spooling line...

Does anyone have any tips for spooling line onto reels.

Looking at putting 100 lb PP on a couple of Tranx reels, but I'm not sure how much mono backing to put on first. I don't want to put on too much PP so it's just wasted.

Thanks.
    Last edited by pc154; 04-02-2016 at 09:21 AM.

Your lucky day. Spool reel #1 with X amount of PP, then top it off with mono. Then reel it off #1 on to reel #2. Mark it and measure where it changes from mono to PP on reel #2, and you have a guide for doing reel #1.

Generally I like to figure about 75-100 yards of superline over my mono backing. For what it's worth, I've never gotten as much on a spool as the documented capacity. For example, if the reel should hold 210 yards of 80 lb superline, I'd estimate about 160 yards of 100 lb test, so I'd put down about 50-70 yards of 30 lb test mono backing and top off with superline.

Keep in mind that the superline will become more compact on the spool within a few hours use, so fill to full capacity, and you won't find your spool under-filled a day later!

Yeah, I was actually thinking 100 yards of 20 lb as I have a big spool of it.

Next question....other than actually tying it to something and walking off 100 yards, any other way to measure it?

Quote Originally Posted by pc154 View Post
    Yeah, I was actually thinking 100 yards of 20 lb as I have a big spool of it.

Next question....other than actually tying it to something and walking off 100 yards, any other way to measure it?
    I sometimes use an old line spool as intermediate storage, so I supposed you could measure off shorter distances within the house, garage, etc, assuming you don't want to go outside on the street or sidewalk and have the neighbors wondering what you are up to!

I live in the country, so no concern about neighbours. I am going to measure out a 100 yard tree with the rangefinder.

Thanks