Thread: Crankbait/twitchbait choices: suspending, sinking, or floating?

Crankbait/twitchbait choices: suspending, sinking, or floating?

Hi fellow Musky Hunters, hope the winter was good to you all and the spring/summer brings the fish...!

I really enjoy using crankbaits and twitchbaits, and I am curious if people have preferences on those that float, suspend or sink. Yes, I'm sure the conditions can change what the fish hit and what we will use, but I'm definitely looking for some personal preferences from folks out there.

Historically, I catch fish on Baby Depth Raiders, yo-zuris, X-raps, Jakes, and Grandmas. I tend to fish on lures on the small side, so the Baby Depth Raiders and #12 X-raps have produced the most for me. I did catch a 40" fish on a sinking bait last year which has really gotten my interest in these in certain conditions.

What say ye, crankbait and twitchbait fanatics?

Happy fishing,

Tim

My favorite twitch/crank is the Crane 206-208. (6-8 inches) That said, I've caught more pike (and one really nice largemouth) on them than muskies, and have twice been impaled by hooks while releasing pike.

I've tried Grandmas and Jakes, from 6 to 10 inch models, but have not done well with them, though my son caught his first musky on a 6 inch Jake in the spring many years ago. I love the look and feel of the 7.5 inch Grandma. Herbie had my son throwing a 13 inch Grandma when we fished with him.

I've got another Hi-Fin solid wood Pikie-style bait that is about 6.5 inches that I love to twitch. Again, I've caught more pike and bass on it, but have had muskies follow it.

Love Cranes, so spastic! My fave 10" Jake actually doesn't float as well as the others I have. Depth raiders are versatile.

Have never caught anything on a sinker- usually go trolling when they are hanging that deep.

choices

bruce, i made a kid throw a 13"? can't recollect ,hope he doesnt hate me, ha! i dont even troll baits that big much anymore!
    floaters come in many body forms and styles of lips all for diff actions and for doing diff things, a square lip and thier bouyancy gives them alot of action and twitch easily over the top of cover while longer diamond lips like the raider give the bait a more vertical attitude which makes them fish deeper and also go to for ripping cover like submergent weeds,bouncing snaggy rocks,etc. only a few floaters will actually reach deeper on the cast than 8-12' and many are made to fish 1-5'.
    while floater divers are a mainstay in everyones arsenal and with a variety of body styles,sizes, and lips can be fished in a wide variety of patterns and may very well be the most versitile lure group.
    but.. suspenders and countdowns are under utilized and overlooked by many anglers. a suspender will generally reach a couple ft deeper than a floater of same size and lip shape and maintain retrieve depth better especially when twitching and pausing. the "hang" or pause can be deadly in all water temps but especially under 55 degrees. they are great for weed edges,breaklines,off points,over humps,and suspended presentations. triple d's,bent lip 9" gramas with 1 size bigger and 1-2X heavier hooks are a couple of consistant fav's with diff profiles and action..
    countdowns are very under used by most anglers especially since the invent of rubber. they are an excellent tool for fishing deeper suspended fish because they will stay at the start of retrieve depth for most of the retrieve with a very steep triggering climb and those that have a predictable countdown sink rate like the countdown Depth Raider can be knowingly worked over and thru baitfish or predatory hooks very efficiently. great in the fall for working deep rock humps,edges and piles,hard bottom areas,and even basin mud lines. also during summer cold fronts and dropping water temps when especially clearwater rock fish drop off edges,hug bottom and become neutral at best for a couple days. they can also be worked much like walleye fishermen are now using a casted ripp'n dawg, ripp'n rap,jigg'n rap,etc.. cast long and far,let sink with tip up high till slack, a 2-4' rip off bottom,settle and bounce ,rip,repeat, etc can be very effective on those neutral deeper holding fish.
    you've heard it before,they are all tools.
    steve herbeck
    AML prop. emeritus,guest fishing instruction coordinator,master guide
    facebook.com/AndyMyersLodge andymyerslodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Herbeck View Post
    bruce, i made a kid throw a 13"? can't recollect ,hope he doesnt hate me, ha! i dont even troll baits that big much anymore!
    floaters come in many body forms and styles of lips all for diff actions and for doing diff things, a square lip and thier bouyancy gives them alot of action and twitch easily over the top of cover while longer diamond lips like the raider give the bait a more vertical attitude which makes them fish deeper and also go to for ripping cover like submergent weeds,bouncing snaggy rocks,etc. only a few floaters will actually reach deeper on the cast than 8-12' and many are made to fish 1-5'.
    while floater divers are a mainstay in everyones arsenal and with a variety of body styles,sizes, and lips can be fished in a wide variety of patterns and may very well be the most versitile lure group.
    but.. suspenders and countdowns are under utilized and overlooked by many anglers. a suspender will generally reach a couple ft deeper than a floater of same size and lip shape and maintain retrieve depth better especially when twitching and pausing. the "hang" or pause can be deadly in all water temps but especially under 55 degrees. they are great for weed edges,breaklines,off points,over humps,and suspended presentations. triple d's,bent lip 9" gramas with 1 size bigger and 1-2X heavier hooks are a couple of consistant fav's with diff profiles and action..
    countdowns are very under used by most anglers especially since the invent of rubber. they are an excellent tool for fishing deeper suspended fish because they will stay at the start of retrieve depth for most of the retrieve with a very steep triggering climb and those that have a predictable countdown sink rate like the countdown Depth Raider can be knowingly worked over and thru baitfish or predatory hooks very efficiently. great in the fall for working deep rock humps,edges and piles,hard bottom areas,and even basin mud lines. also during summer cold fronts and dropping water temps when especially clearwater rock fish drop off edges,hug bottom and become neutral at best for a couple days. they can also be worked much like walleye fishermen are now using a casted ripp'n dawg, ripp'n rap,jigg'n rap,etc.. cast long and far,let sink with tip up high till slack, a 2-4' rip off bottom,settle and bounce ,rip,repeat, etc can be very effective on those neutral deeper holding fish.
    you've heard it before,they are all tools.
    steve herbeck
    AML prop. emeritus,guest fishing instruction coordinator,master guide
    facebook.com/AndyMyersLodge andymyerslodge.com
    Carston (the kid) was 32 years old, 6',2" and about 275 lbs at the time!! Glad to see you still at it!
    Last edited by BLL_BIGFISH; 04-07-2016 at 09:21 AM. Reason: add

great hearing you are still at too bill,been awhile, me still at it? just gett'n started !!! one of my best seasons ever last yr.,no biz, just helping guests,guides,and full time on the water,feel like a kid again every morn when i leave the dock.