Thread: Split Rings vs Snap Swivels

Split Rings vs Snap Swivels

I was just wondering if anyone has had situations when using a split ring instead of a snap swivel on a solid wire leader where the wire works it's way around the split ring opening the connection. I've had it happen twice. Once I noticed it about half way around, the other not until I cast the bait off. I probably need to pay closer attention.

Go with a triple wound ring instead of the singles. The ring, some say, will impart a more direct action to the bait and is recommended to get the most rattle out of a rattle bait. The snaps are, of course, easier to operate when it comes to changing baits. m

I've been using the Fastach lure clip by Stringease for the past several years. Super easy to change lures,
    and I've never lost the clip or lure. They come in a variety of sizes and strengths.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydchad View Post
    I was just wondering if anyone has had situations when using a split ring instead of a snap swivel on a solid wire leader where the wire works it's way around the split ring opening the connection. I've had it happen twice. Once I noticed it about half way around, the other not until I cast the bait off. I probably need to pay closer attention.
    Why not just use a solid ring on the leader?

I've been making my own leaders for many years. I boated a pair of 40+ pound muskies three season ago. These fish caused me to re-think how I make my leaders.

Lately, I've been making more of my leaders with split rings to attach my lure to the leader. I've been using Bucher's split rings and haven't had a problem with the loop in the wire working its way around the split ring. The suggestion of using the Wolverine style 3-wrap style split rings is something that I should be checking out. I wonder if these wider split rings will still fit nicely into the loop on the wire. A few quick experiments will be conducted!

The original post caused me to wonder if he was using new split rings versus split rings that had been previously "used". That is, was the split ring "sprung", which would allow the loop on the wire leader to more easily enter into the split ring and come off?

I have been using solid, welded rings on the other end of the leader as my tie point for my main fishing line. I use these leaders for jerk baits, gliders and crank baits. These types of lures don't seem to roll over very much on the retrieve, which introduces line twist. My bucktail leaders use a ball-bearing swivel to connect my main fishing line to the leader.

Good fishing and tight lines!!

I order all my leaders from Stealth Tackle and have him make them all with a welded ring no snaps. All my baits have a split ring on them so I just attach to that. Never had a problem or any kind of failure.
    Jeff Hanson
    madisonmuskyguide.com