Thread: Looking for a Calcutta D Expert..

Looking for a Calcutta D Expert..

I just found out that USDM calcutta d's have VBS. It requires disassembly of the reel but I'm curious on how people set theirs up.

If i understand the technology correctly, VBS controls the spool at the beginning of the cast, the variable spool tension is for the end of the cast???

As Muskie fisherman typically throw big, heavy, wind resistant baits I would expect that there's an optimum setting.

I have a 400D that's on my big bait rod (8' Shimano Terex Waxwing Salt Water) and a 200D that I use for bass and Pike.

Any ideas or suggestions?

TIA.

Pop out 5 of the 6 breaks and you should be able to set the reel up to cast backlash free. When casting musky lures you can have all 6 breaks popped to the open position and still make long casts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Saric View Post
    Pop out 5 of the 6 breaks and you should be able to set the reel up to cast backlash free. When casting musky lures you can have all 6 breaks popped to the open position and still make long casts.
    Sorry Jim, for clarification, when you say "open" what exactly do you mean?

Based on the following:

Locked so they don't move is "off".

Unlocked so they move outwards when the reel spins which means they are "on".

I would assume that having all 6 "on" would impact casting distance or does it matter because the lures are so heavy.

Thanks in advance>
    Last edited by KraTToR; 02-17-2016 at 02:22 AM.

Unlock 5 or 6 (move to the out position). Musky lures are so heavy they pull the line off the spool. This is much different than when casting bass or walleye lures. You will not lose any casting distance and you'll reduce backlashes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Saric View Post
    Unlock 5 or 6 (move to the out position). Musky lures are so heavy they pull the line off the spool. This is much different than when casting bass or walleye lures. You will not lose any casting distance and you'll reduce backlashes.
    Ok thanks, I understand...

Appreciate your help!